New chicks went out to their pens (pics of pen set up)

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
I built a brooder/breeder pen onto our coop last week and the new chicks went out today. (Yes, they are still very young...BUT it is very mild weathered out and I am able to regulate the temp in the brooder to 95 in the daytime and 90 at night and they seem happy, and content! lol)

Anyway, I thought I'd show off some pics of my handy work.
wink.png
I built the pen myself since DH is away (4 days till he's home again!) now and I'm really kinda proud of myself.
big_smile.png
Whatcha think? Think it will work good as a breeder pen in the future too?

If you stand in the doorway of the coop and look in, the pen is at the far back right:
newchicks1week025.jpg

Here's some close ups:
newchicks1week024.jpg

newchicks1week026.jpg

newchicks1week020.jpg

newchicks1week021.jpg

The pen measures 5' x 5' and is as tall as the chicken wire goes. The top board opens to allow me to easily throw a bale of straw in when I change the coop out. I have the pen divided right now to keep the Cornish Cross seperate from the pullets. In the photos, the Cornish are on the left, the mixed pullets are on the right. Big chickens are in the coop part lol.
big_smile.png
My big chickies are really enjoying the babies. They "talk" to them through the wire, and lay near it and the babies lay close to the other side. So cute!

Well, thanks for looking at my handy work! lol

Oh, good idea! I have chicks that will soon be 6 weeks old and are getting BIG. I will have some more chicks coming in next week and I was trying to think of some way to get them out to the coop quickly. This would work in my coop, too.

Nice work!
big_smile.png

Thanks guys!
big_smile.png

I was trying to think of a way to make integrating them all together easier, too, as well as getting them out of the house! 40 chicks gets REAL smelly REAL quick!
tongue.png

I'm not as handy as my DH, but I was really proud of my work lol And glad to have them outta my house! lol

You did an excellent job! It not only serves a purpose, but looks great. Your DIY skills are definitely more up to par than mine
smile.png

That is definately very cool, How long do you think that area will keep those little ones?
And your DIY skills are way better than mine. I am impressed. And what a great roll model for your daughter.

I am impressed. And what a great roll model for your daughter.

OMG Freebie. Way to make me cry like a baby! lol Thanks for the major compliment. Means worlds to me, and despite a few tears, it put a huge goofy smile on my face that I just cant wipe off now. Thank you.
smile.png

It reminded me of a time about three weeks ago when DH was OTR and my daughter and I were driving and got a flat tire. She paniced and told me to "call someone" or, when someone (sorta creepy lookin) pulled over to offer his assistance, she said "Mom, girls cant change tires. Thats a boy job, why didnt you let him do it?" I grunted and said "No, I can do this." and I am proud to say that I got that tire changed. Cut my knuckles and broke a nail doin it, but I got great satisfaction as I looked at the blood and grease on my hands while we drove safely home. My daughter beemed the whole way, and when we got home, she messaged DH "guess what dad? Mom can do things you do!" I just smiled.

I am hoping with the wire between them it will make putting them all together in a few weeks easier, since they'll kind of "know" each other. I hope I'm right on that. I'd hate to see the little ones getting beat up too awful bad.
hmm.png

How long do you think that area will keep those little ones?

My hopes are that the little pullets will be able to go in with the bigger chicks in 3-4 weeks. If that goes well, than I should be able to just take out the divider in the brooder and raise the Cornish to nearly grown in that size pen....I think anyway. I plan to send half of the Cornish to the freezer at 6 weeks for a smaller, more tender eatin, and let the other half get to 8-10 weeks for bigger roasters for the grill this summer. Do you think 8 Cornish can grow to full size in a 5' x 5' pen?​

Last edited:
It reminded me of a time about three weeks ago when DH was OTR and my daughter and I were driving and got a flat tire. She paniced and told me to "call someone" or, when someone (sorta creepy lookin) pulled over to offer his assistance, she said "Mom, girls cant change tires. Thats a boy job, why didnt you let him do it?" I grunted and said "No, I can do this." and I am proud to say that I got that tire changed. Cut my knuckles and broke a nail doin it, but I got great satisfaction as I looked at the blood and grease on my hands while we drove safely home. My daughter beemed the whole way, and when we got home, she messaged DH "guess what dad? Mom can do things you do!" I just smiled.

What a great story! My daddy made me learn how to change a tire, check the oil, etc. before I was even allowed to take the driving test. I hated it at the time, I just wanted my license, but I think it's important. It also makes me feel good knowing that if I get a flat tire and I'm on my own, I can do it myself! Your daughter has learned a great lesson from you.​

Back
Top Bottom