giving safeguard to chickens

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
my chickens have gape worm so i put 1% safe guard cattle pellets in the pellets and feed it free choice for 3 days but they dont eat the safe guard pellets. they are still gaping from it and i doubt they even ate a single one of the wormer pellets. Should i get them some safeguard cattle paste and put it on their beak instead? Ive heard ivomect (however you spell it) works well against gape worm, does it come in paste or something else? have you ever tried to give your hens safeguard pellets, and did they eat it?
Also can someone give me a schedule for how to worm my chickens, (i just bought two hens who have never been wormed)
smile.png

Worming- start out with wazine17 first to get rid of roundworms,one ounce per gallon of water.it must be the only source of water for your chickens and i recommend you treat all your chickens if you want them on a worming schedule. put it out first thing in the morning for the chickens to drink and leave it for 24 hours,at which time you discard and replace with regular fresh water.you'll need to discard the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks.once the 2 weeks are up,i recommend treating them with ivermectin pour on. you'll need a syringe,not for injections,but for exact measurements. ivermectin pour on will kill most worms including gapeworm. it will not kill tapeworms.an added benefit of the pour on is that it will kill lice/mites too.you must discard the eggs for another 2 weeks after using ivermectin. i dont know if safeguard will kill gapeworm.i have used the paste for worming,after using wazine. i rotate my secondary wormers to prevent worm immunity.dosage for ivermectin pour on; you'll need a syringe with a 25 gauge needle,a 20 guage will work also.you want to put the drops directly on the skin of the back of the neck just above the shoulders.dosage:small chickens...hamburgs,seabrights,easter eggers-3 drops to the back of the neck. sex links,leghorns...4 drops. barred rocks,rir's,buff orpingtons,black australorps...5 drops. jersey giants,big roosters....6 drops. remember,it's very important to get the drops on the skin as it's absorbed quickly.if it gets on the fuzz/feathers, the results are unknown. i recommend wearing disposable latex gloves too. after worming,you should give your chickens probiotics to rebuild their immune system.they will be weak after worming.give them plain yogurt, canned beef catfood,scrambled eggs(not the ones you're throwing away), mix all this up with their feed to make a mash and give it to them. you might want to add nutra drench to their water also.it can be purchased at a feed store on at TSC. as far as a schedule is concerned it just depends where you live as far as i'm concerned. if you have swampy, rainy weather like we have here in southeast georgia, i'd recommend worming about every 8 or 9 months.the soil being so moist and damp is condusive for worms. otherwise once a year is good,around the fall time is best to worm them. if you have any further questions,feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom