chick with hurt leg(please help)

thanks for all the help...i was 70 degrees here today so i took these chicks out in the front yard to play...the chick with th e hurt leg did fine....when she wanted to move to a new place she could put some weight on it...but she would have to take a break every couple of minutes and just lay down

On the surface it does seem to indicate an injury but just on the offchance it is something else:
http://www.epah.net/birds/Plimbdeformity.html
(excerpt)
"....Crooked Toes
Description: Crooked toes is a condition best described in poultry as a developmental anomaly in which the toes are bent laterally and medially (outward and inward, respectively) in a horizontal plane. This is different than curled toes in pigeons and poultry which is due to a riboflavin deficiency in the diet.1,2
Pathogenesis: Crooked toes occurs due to a twisting of the phalanges (toe bones).
Etiology: The cause is unknown, however wire floors and low humidity may predispose birds to the anomaly. The greater incidence in different pigeon breeds suggests a genetic problem or management situation particular to that breed (e.g. crooked toes in Domestic Flights).

Rotated Tarsometatarsus
Description: This is a deformity of the lower leg, past the hock joint, in which the tarsometatarsal bone rotates laterally or medially.
Pathogenesis: It is associated with twisting and bending of the lower tibiotarsal and upper tarsometatarsal bones (above and below the hock joint).3
Etiology: The cause is unknown but may be secondary to perosis (slipped tendon) and not a primary disease.

Perosis
Description: Perosis is enlargement of the hock joint and rotation of the tarsometatarsus due to slipping of the Achilles' tendon.
Pathogenesis: The tendon of the gastrocnemius muscle (Achilles' tendon) slips laterally (towards the outer side) of the hock and there is shortening of the bones of the affected leg due to changes in the growth plate.1,3
Etiology: Manganese deficiency, choline deficiency, biotin and pantothenic acid deficiency, calcium/phosphorus/Vitamin D imbalance, niacin deficiency, Vitamin B6 and folic acid deficiency are all causes of perosis in poultry and waterfowl.

Twisted Leg
Description: An outward or inward twisting and bending of the leg; usually only one leg is affected.1
Pathogenesis: Slipped tendon of gastrocnemius muscle.
Etiology: The incidence of affected individuals is increased in some flocks; suggesting a genetic influence. The nutritional causes of perosis should also be considered. The use of improper or insufficient nesting material or nesting containers is mentioned by Levi (columbids) and by Voren and Jordan (psittacines)4,5 The cause is most likely multifactorial and not limited to just one etiology, but rather may be a combination of disease syndromes.

Angular limb deformities in pigeons are always difficult to treat and cure in older youngsters, however, if caught early, squeakers can be treated with amazing results. John Hanson's "15 cent Solution" in July, 1992 APJ issue is an effective, innovative method to control splayed legs.6 Notice that the squabs he is treating by placing two leg bands with an interconnecting elastic band are young birds that can still be banded. This is the key to success, catch 'em early!

Anne Ellis's April 1992 APJ article gives an excellent alternative. She utilizes a bread tin to keep the legs held beneath the body and prevent splaying. She too is still treating birds that are young and still growing, otherwise they would flap their wings and work their way out of the bread tin. Both these methods are a variation on another theme. The goal is to provide a substrate or apparatus to prevent the legs from splaying out. Many methods can accomplish this. Bowls and tins which restrict outward leg movement are readily available and inexpensive. Deep, coarse and heavy nest material such as alfalfa pellets covered with a more natural layer of nest material may also help.

Another method is to use external fixation splints. An apparatus that extends from one limb to the other is often effective but can be fraught with frustration. The key is to keep it simple. Bulky tapes and appliances attached to the legs often hinder the bird, can lead to two deformed limbs, cause soiled plumage and may result in painful sores. John Hanson's method is effective as long as the leg bands do not ride up near the hock but remain near the feet.

The last and least desirable method is reserved for special situations and involves surgery. A derotational osteotomy in which the bone is cut and the leg de-rotated is seldom effective and used as a salvage procedure to give the bird a better quality of life. The Achilles' tendon usually remains slipped and thus the lower leg is barely functional. Unless the bird is a pet or has an otherwise high inherent value, culling is recommended.

A proverbial ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure. Unfortunately, it is difficult to prevent what is not clearly understood. The only recommendations to make are the obvious: provide adequate nutrition, vitamins, nest material and nest bowls to your birds. Until the etiology of angular limb deformities can be elucidated, it is recommended these birds be eliminated from the breeding population.

Vitamin D is necessary for metabolism of calcium and phosphorous and for absorption of calcium from the diet. Deficiency causes weak bones, enlargement of joints and soft-shelled eggs. Excess vitamin D may cause severe kidney damage and calcified tissues.

Calcium is needed for bone and eggshell formation. Deficiency causes soft-shelled, weakness, paralysis, soft bones and egg binding. Excess dietary calcium without increasing dietary phosphorous causes kidney damage and mineralized tissues.

Phosphorous is essential for proper calcium metabolism. Calcium and phosphorous should be balanced in the ration to a ratio of 1.5:1 for young birds and 2.5-1 for breeding birds.

Niacin is necessary to prevent bowing of the legs and enlargement of the hocks. A deficiency does not usually cause perosis.

Manganese prevents enlargement of the hock joint and prevents tendon slippage of the gastrocnemius muscle.

Zinc deficiency may result in shortened and thickened long bones, enlarged hocks and weakness. An excess is usually caused by ingestion of zinc from cage/wire clippings and may cause gastrointestinal and neurologic signs.

Choline deficiency also may result in perosis and cartilage deformities in joints.

Biotin is necessary to prevent shortening of leg bones in embryos and perosis."

I have a cochin when she was a chick that did someting to her leg...not sure if she broke it or dislocated it but she drug it around and I felt so sorry for her and almost took her to the vet. BUt I figured I would give it a couple days and she seemed to get better and now shes fine. I ahve a golden laced Wyandotte hen that did something to her leg a couple months ago and she limps alittle now but shes fine. I have been told that chickens are miraculous healers. Give her a few days and see what happens.
So glad I found this post! My week old chick somehow hurt herself, nothing protruding, but she was peeping so loudly and splayed her wings with her head down. But I'm hoping since it doesnt outwardly appear severe she'll just heal in a few days. thanks so much for your post!

Hello...I'm new here, but wanted to offer some advice! I had a chick with a broken leg about 3 weeks ago. I confined it to a seperate warm area--and just fed it, and changed it's water. I tried not to handle it too much, so it could have a chance to heal--just petted it and talked calmly to it. Whatever you do, make sure the area is WARM. I think that's one of the most important things. After three weeks, he/she is running around with no problems. Alot of people just automatically put the chick down. I have had chickens with broken legs, hurt legs, attacked by dogs and only had to put one down, that was due to a punctured lung. Good luck in whatever you do!
God bless,
Tracey
Mama to 2 boys and 2 girls and LOTS of chickens and incubating eggs...
I recently had a chick jump out and the dog got ahold of it for a second. The upper thigh part if her leg is bruised and she can’t bend it, no other injuries as far as I can see. I can’t find any info on what to do for this situation. She is sleeping all day unless I pick her up to feed or give her water. What did you do to help your chicks?? Any info would be so so so appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom