NC - My 1st Chickens

So cute!! So many!!
wee.gif

Looks like you will have a wonderful coop!
droolin.gif

In the new photo--I'm no expert but--is that a little roo Barred Rock or Dominique? Is he/she about 2 weeks old? I have what appears to be a little pullet BR with much wider black bars. BR roos (I think it may be all barred chickens) have even white to black. I say this as I am so afraid I have a roo BLRW. The (most likely) female BR and the BLRW do the most jostling in pecking order. The BLRW has thicker legs (ahhh!!) but seems to be backing down more to the BR now. Would a little roo do that? Are you having much pecking order jostling going on?

Quote:
What appears to be (should be) a rooster is a Dominique.
It also should be about 4 weeks old now, but maybe a little under that. Not much though, if that.

I do have some pecking order going on, as the RIR and Dominique tend to flap around the others a bit, and they both like to peck at my hand a bit (mainly the Dominique).
I'm sure it should be a rooster by that alone, but I'm starting to flick his little head and scare him off a bit more now so he doesn't end up in a chicken cassarole.
tongue.png

Millie (d'Uccle) is new, Jared got her for me yesterday!
ya.gif
The rest are just updates, crazy birds grow FAST!
jumpy.gif

DSC_1021.jpg

DSC_1018.jpg

DSC_1027.jpg

DSC_1003.jpg

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

wee.gif

Last edited:
The Barred Rock (what we were told was a Dominique) hasn't been itself the past little while.
It used to be the first to hop up and check you out, or one of them, but its legs are pretty weak and I never see it walk.
I have noticed this behavior for about the past week or so.
It does stand up from time to time, but every time I try to pick it up it seems to tip over head first.

I've checked out its feet, and other than feeling limp for the most part, nothing seems odd.
I brought it in last night and made sure I watched it eat (medicated food) and drink plenty of water.
It acts like it is just fine. It sits and keeps a close eye on you and talks at you often.
Its comb looks fine and it has pooped plenty...more than I thought it would.

Right now, I think it may have hurt or sprained its legs because of the area they were outgrowing before I moved them a day ago.
They slept all on top of each other and I have read that this could injure it in this manner.
I've considered going to get vitamins, etc., for it, but I'm just waiting to see if it recovers after leaving it by itself for a little bit.
Like I said, I don't get any immediate signs like it is sick at all, it just acts like its feet don't allow it to walk much.

I know this is in the wrong section, but thought I'd keep it with the birds I have.
Any feedback?

Okay, so maybe we are getting carried away...

8 new banty chicks in the garage:
(2) Old English (BB Reds? Unsure)
(2) Buff Silkies
(1) Black Silkie
(3) Frizzle Cochins (2 white - one looks like he may have missed out on the gene - and one grayish)

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

And we found this little guy on the side of the road half starved –– so chalk it up to 4.....we cannot have a mice problem at my house...

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

And the introduction...

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

Welp, it appears 2 of the 3 Frizzle Cochins are showing up with the gene big time.
Looks like the other one is going to miss out.
All will be well though if it turns out to be the opposite sex from the Cochin banty we already have. It is a very pretty bird and would do well to mate with an equally attractive partner...

welcome-byc.gif
from California.

Beautiful chicks and quite a nice coop and pen. It's kinda addicting, isn't it? Post often and let us see them grow up.

Back
Top Bottom