Help! Hot birds panting!

my girls have been panting too so i just put a couple different water dishes around the yard and in their run....i will definately be trying the ice and frozen fruit as it gets hotter here in NY! thanks!

aaaaawwwwwwhhhhhhhh what a sweet story!!! I can't wait to get my babies in their coop...I want them to be able really spread their wings and have the room to move around. I have them in my huge bathtub in the masterbath and they are outgrowing as fast as the sterlite brooder. When I open the top to play, feed and clean up the latest poops, they fly upon my arm an seem to be saying "okay Momma, I'm ready even though they are just now at 3 weeks. Gosh I just love my chicky babies!!!

I'm with the idea of digging some shallow holes for them to sit in....it really works. And pans of water do help, some will stand in it. Good Luck!!!

It's so sweet to hear about others and their chicken love!
love.gif

We can't wait to just hang out with them. They are darling and all have such different personalities.

Today is cooler - THANK THE GOOD LORD! However, we're getting another awful storm with lightning and thunder. We just closed up the gals (and guys - still not sure). Each day my boys and I spend hours reinforcing all the wire and putting up new wire and sun shades. Soon it will be like Fort Knox. My middle son today said it's starting to feel like a jail! I guess we're getting close then.

Quote:

Another thing that I do for my birds...I take the 2 litre soda bottles, fill them with water and freeze them. I take a plastic tote and put it on its side and put the frozen bottles inside...then I point my fan at them...it creates a little ac of sorts for them and they will lie down in front of it and cool off.

And they have shallow pans of water with ice cubes in it they can stand in and cool off too. Plus misters going.

Just keep a good eye on them and do the best you can.

I got some misters from Sams Club. they are for putting around the rafters of your pool to keep your guests cool. Works great around the rafters outside the barn. keeps the girls cool too. It really drops the temp by at least 5-10 degrees. We are over 100 here in AL too. the ventalation fan in the barn draws the cooler air into the hen house and helps to cool it down in there too.

I live in California's hot Central Valley where summer temps are 100+ for weeks. The bottom of my girls' run is sand, which I keep well shaded in the summer. The sand seems to keep the coop cooler than shavings or plain dirt. With plenty of water (some it iced), they pull through - although they do pant a lot but so are the dogs and so am I.

Also, the sand is fairly easy to keep clean; I just use a kitty litter scoop once a day, and I throw the droppings in the compost pile. It's the regular play sand that you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom