Zucchini

lilcountry

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Benson, NC
Anyone have recipe(s) for zucchini other than bread or muffins?
big_smile.png

Last year we made Zucchini Fritters and served them with homemade tzatziki(sp?). Very tasty! Don't remember the exact recipe but grated the zukes, and made patties with onions, flour, egg, and maybe some spices. Sorta like potato pancakes.

I know someone who uses it in lasagna, and cubed/cooked in spaghetti sauce.

When making potato pancakes, make it 1/4 shredded zuchinni, 3/4 shredded potatoes.

If they aren't too big, cut a top off lengthwise, making a "boat." Scoop out insides and cook with ground meat and onions. You can also add chopped canned tomatoes if you like, or add diced bell peppers. Spice as you wish. When done, either mix with mozzerella or jack cheese, or wait. Fill the boats with the mix. If you didn't put cheese in it, you can put it on the top at this point. Bake.
smile.png

My kids love it when their dad stewed zuchinni with canned tomatoes and onion. Salt, spice and sugar to taste.

I love to fry patty pans and yellow crook necks, so I don't see why you can't try zuchinni. Slice, bread, fry.
smile.png

Use sauted pieces in fritattas.

Toss pieces with olive oil, salt and cook in the oven.

Well, that's all I can think of offhand. Having a good garden year?
smile.png

Thanks! Yes we get alot of squash and zucchini every year! I also work on a farm, but if some of the produce gets little spots or is a day old people are so picky and wont buy it so we have to throw it away
hmm.png
and I hate that so Ill bring it home to can or cook or freeze or feed to animals or whatever I can think of. So I get a lot a one time! Need some! haha
wink.png

Here's an easy favorite of mine.

Zucchini Quiche

3 medium zucchini
1 egg
1 large onion
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 lb cubed mozzerella cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
salt OR garlic salt
pepper
1 deep pie crust

Peel zucchini and slice. Fry with sliced onions and butter. Drain and mix with everything else. Pour into pie crust and bake at 350* for 1/2 hour. Let cool and sprinkle with breadcrumbs (optional).

I cube zucchini and coarsely chop an onion, throw it in a frying pan with a little olive oil, cook over medium high heat, turn once in a while (you want it to brown or caramelize a little), add salt and pepper and sometimes I add a little rosemary. Tasty. I also have sliced zucchini lengthwise (about 1/4 inch thick), seasoned with whatever (salt, pepper, Lowry's seasoned salt, Adobo, garlic salt, whatever you like), spray with Pam, grill, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. My nephew from West Virginia came to visit and I served the grilled zucchini. It was the first time he ever ate it and he liked it very much.

These are good, haha soon I'll need more zucchini not more recipes
big_smile.png
I love to cook though, I just printed off one for a quiche but I like that one better. I love stir-fried zucchini and I think grilling it would be just as good.

Try it next time you grill. Cut them lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick, coat them in a little olive oil, and grill till your taste of doneness. Take them off and sprinklle with Balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Goes well with grilled meats.

Typically, it is the summer when you get overrun with little guys, so I grow them big and grate them in the food processor and dry them in dehydrators. Last year I put ap about 20- 1 gallon ziplocks. then all year long you can add them to all baked goods, stews, soups, chili, just about EVERYTHING!

I have 2 dehydrators that run pretty much full time in late summer and early fall.

Yeah I just made quite a few batches of muffins and breads and froze them and then the rest I'll experiment with these new recipes! A customer told me she freezes the zukes whole in plastic bags and they do fine when she thaws them, just in case she wanted whole ones to cook or eat or use in a caserole.

Back
Top Bottom