So Proud of my Hubby.. New Coop construction (Pics)

MyShunshyn

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Sperrassoville, OK
celebrate.gif
I am so proud of my hubby and I had to share! these are pics of our new/reclaimed coop that is almost finished.
We have the north and west fence panels up.. we had them laying around and knew the vinyl fencing would make a great wind break.
halfcoop.jpg

Now we are on to the south and east sides we have three panels finished and up.. reclaimed 2 x 4s and chicken wire..
3up.jpg

here is a closer look at a panel,
panel.jpg

We have 5 more panels to do.. and hang the pen door.
5more2go.jpg

The nesting boxes are finished........
nestingboxes1.jpg

nesting2.jpg

and the roosts will go here
soon2broosts.jpg

the 5 panels are all built..... our Aussie, Piglet has to inspect our work
5moreready.jpg

panel2.jpg

SO now when it is warmer we can finish with the panels... put the netting over the top of everything and put vents and a window in the coop and it will be ready
for our new babies! We can't wait.
THanks for letting me share.... what do ya think?
ya.gif

It looks great, so nice and spacious. One thing I noticed is the chicken wire vs hardware cloth, I read that chicken wire won't keep out predators. You may want to check that out, if you have lots in your area.

Wow, that's going to be a great setup!

Just a couple of suggestions...

Please wrap the at least the lower half of your run with something smaller and stronger than chicken wire. 1"x1" welded wire is a good choice. Dogs and other predators can tear right through standard chicken wire and you could have a disaster on your hands. Plus, critters have been known to reach through and grab chickens. Please do a search on this form for "should I use chicken wire" and read people's comments.

Also, if your roosts are not higher than your nest boxes, you may find that your girls roost where they're supposed to be laying. That makes for filthy nests and gross eggs.

You will find this forum a wealth of information, and don't be afraid to ask questions. BYCers are very happy to help anyone who asks.

welcome-byc.gif

looks very nice! i totally agree with adding stronger wire around the bottom, also put an apron at least a foot wide around it too, prevents digging in by predators. are you gonna put a pop door in, or just open the main door each morning and close it at night?

i love the vinyl fencing, thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom