New packing peanut babies (please help ID)

dragonflydreamsfarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Northeast TN
These chicks were used as packing peanuts for our duck/goose order from Ideal. Can anyone help me ID them?

DSC_5453.jpg

DSC_5454.jpg

DSC_5455.jpg

DSC_5458.jpg

I dunno, but they sure are cute
big_smile.png

What kind of ducks/geese did you get?
I got 3 white pekins from TSC last month,(to replace an old friend
sad.png
) and they are already as big as my chickens. They grow Super fast!

I am new to ordering poultry to be delivered by mail, so this is news to me that they ship extra chicks for warmth. What do people do with the extra chicks if they don't want that breed or can only have a couple of chickens, total? I did read somewhere that the extra chicks are usually roosters, so even more reason that they might not come to a good end. It seems somehow wrong to me to use a live animal that is most likely not wanted as packing material/heat pack.

In this case you got six chicks. I bought six chicks, and I know how much 'stuff' it takes to raise them and how much time to take care of them properly, so can't imagine ordering waterfowl and getting six chicks to take care (or not) of at the same time.

I probably don't really want to know what happens to them, but can't help wondering.

Quote:
I think it depends what hatchery you order from. I had small orders from Mayer. 4 and 3. They didn't add any extra chicks, just some heating pads for warmth. They do say on their website that they add 4% to every order.

Quote:
This is only the second time I've gotten packing peanuts. The first time it was just two more Blue Andalusian roosters and an extra hen in a box with 12 hens and 2 roosters that I bought. So those were just a nice surprise and VERY welcome.

For these chicks once they are out of the brooders either we'll give them to friends (as many as possible) or we'll just put them in with the ducks and geese as free range instead of putting them in one of the coops. Once they get big enough then we'll have a beer grilled chicken every once in a while
wink.png

BTW places like Meyer don't ship peanuts, but you REALLY pay for that. Also Ideal will NOT if you ask and pay extra.

Last edited:
Quote:
As others have said- it depends on the hatchery (and how much you pay for shipping). In my Cackle order I just got an extra of each of the banty breeds I had ordered.

Back
Top Bottom