*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So sorry to hear you are having to go thru this. Sounds like Tom has made his peace and when he goes is on his terms...may that be comfort to you and your family.
My grandmother and mother did the same thing...waited until the last child was able to visit...then peacefully slipped away.
My prayers are with your family.

We intended to bring Tom home to die yesterday, but when his doctor came in and looked at him about 1:40 p.m., he said "Let's give it another 24 hours here." My mother was so relieved as she was nervous to have him home without the support of nurses just outside the door... So Mom went home about 2:00 to get some clothes to spend another night at his bedside, and I was happy to stay with Tom. I was the only one in the room when he took his last breaths. I had my hand on his shoulder and had sung a couple of hymns quietly to him - It Is Well With My Soul and I Need Thee Every Hour. Then I got the Bible and said "Tom, I'll bet you're already on the other side of the valley, but I want to read Psalm 23...for me." While I was reading the 23rd Psalm he took his last breaths. It was 3:00 on the dot. It was my great privilege to have him as a second father, and to be with him at the last. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

hugs.gif

Quote:
I have several small brown snakes w/o any markings at all that live in the dirt in my yard, any ideas on type?

I've had snakes like you're describing in my yard too. They're a little thicker around than a pencil, brown on top with a light cream colored underbelly. At adult-hood they're about 10 inches long. The folks at the OKC zoo told me they were Brown snakes and beneficial to have around. They eat snails and insects. My neighbor finds them frequently in her yard, usually under rocks, then she brings them over to give to the chickens.

I have found many this year b/c of digging up new garden areas, and fenceline for burying the fence. Most I have been able to rescue, but if the girls see it first all I can do for the poor hapless soul is it's last rites.

Hello, I am verily new to this forum and fairly new to Oklahoma. If this is the wrong subject or in the wrong place please bare with me and steer me in the right direction .

We live in a development in Broken Arrow but will be moving. We leased this house from a man that was transferred to Dallas and now has been transferred back. Good for him, bad for us.

Anyway, in looking for a place (rent or buy) I would really like to have a place where I could keep a few hens. We are looking in midtown Tulsa, somewhere convenient to the BA expressway or in Broken Arrow convenient to 71st and Lynn Lane. Question: Do chicken keeping laws vary by neighborhood or just by city? Where could I legally keep a few hens?

While I'm at it I'll ask, do any of you know of neighborhoods you would recommend or steer clear of and; do any of you know of a house for lease or sale? Thank you very much.

Quote:
I have Dark Shamo and Light Saipan Jungle Fowl. Both beautiful breeds.

Where'd you get your start in Shamo & Saipan?

A guy at work was talking about an old neighbor that had 3' tall chickens. Until then all i was used to seeing was RIR or White Leggies (my parents had those for eggers growing up) but the idea of a 3' tall chicken interested me so i got some off of Ideal Poultry. I like em energetic little suckers. I also Have a few Light Brahmas and BCMs.

Never thought i would get into chickens after growing up with them but i like the odd ball breeds.

Quote:
Quote:
We had trouble with hatching our own call duck eggs back when we used to raise them. I agree with Teach ... they are difficult to get to hatch. I've heard from people we sold eggs to that they had great results by hand turning the eggs. We too were lucky to get around 25% to hatch. We had good results when allowing chicken hens incubate them for 2-3 weeks and then take them away & put them in the incubator. We stopped trying to let chicken hens to hatch the ducklings because as soon as they were a few days from hatching, the hens would kill & destroy the hatchlings ... blood ... murder ... I caught them in the act. I guess when the ducklings began making noise near the hatch date the hens thought they were aliens. Maybe as Teach says "they are the devil"
gig.gif

If we ever get more call ducks again, it'll only be for ornamental purposes only ... only drakes that are beautiful and NOT noisy! Those hens make as much or more noise than wild mallards!

I vote for muscovy ducks instead
thumbsup.gif
We bought some muscovies last fall from Maribeth and they've been laying very well. We have our first ducklings to hatch a few days ago! We should have some available for sale at POOPS if the next batch is as successful as this was. So far, fertility has been 100%, but some stopped developing part way. Muscovy ducks are big and don't make much noise. Well, they will hiss at you when they want you to leave them alone! Oh, and when Gerald empties the mouse traps, they love the extra protein!

Quote:
I have Dark Shamo and Light Saipan Jungle Fowl. Both beautiful breeds.

I am really liking my shamos, the verdict is still out on the aseels, they need a lot of handling...

Last edited:
Quote:
I have malays (acquired from NNbreeder and Teva), Saipan Jungle Fowl (acquired from Cuban and NNbreeder)

If the kindergarten class is successful in hatching their eggs next week, I will be aquiring red jungle fowl chicks, since they got the eggs from B&D game farm in McLoud.
wee.gif

Quote:
I've had snakes like you're describing in my yard too. They're a little thicker around than a pencil, brown on top with a light cream colored underbelly. At adult-hood they're about 10 inches long. The folks at the OKC zoo told me they were Brown snakes and beneficial to have around. They eat snails and insects. My neighbor finds them frequently in her yard, usually under rocks, then she brings them over to give to the chickens.

I have found many this year b/c of digging up new garden areas, and fenceline for burying the fence. Most I have been able to rescue, but if the girls see it first all I can do for the poor hapless soul is its last rites.

yuckyuck.gif

I think that we have had juvenile brown rat snakes in the garden before, about as big around as a pencil and 12 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom