My Babies and their bathtub brooder

thebirdgirl

Chirping
15 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Northeast, MA
So I received my babies last week and can't believe how totally, completely cute they are!! I can just sit there watching them play all day. My favorites are my mottled houdans and my Salmon favorelle. They are so sweet and snuggly and I love watching them sleep. The mottled houdans sleep straight on there bellies with the legs out behind them and necks all stretched out. It freaked me out the first few times I saw them because I thought there was something wrong. After waking them up a few times I realized that is how they like to sleep! I turned my bathtub into a brooder for them (I have two bathrooms
smile.png
) and it works perfect. I hope they don't outgrow it before they can go out to the coop. Here are a few pictures: Too cute!!!
DSCF2849.jpg

Sleeping babies
DSCF2804.jpg

My favorite girls!
DSCF2839.jpg

Checking out the new digs
DSCF2813.jpg

Curious chickie- she loves the camera!
DSCF2825.jpg

Thanks so much for the quick reply. this is great.
Question: so you don't think it's a bad idea to move them to the coop before the 4 or 5 weeks is up?

My DH, while he is accepting of my chickens, would just flip if I ever put chickens in the bathtub, the basement is the limit of birds in the house.
smile.png

Cute babies.

Chicks must be kept warm right on till they are about 12 to 14 weeks old and they have all their downy feathers replaced. It is terrible hard to keep anywhere outside warm enough for them. I kept mine in a ref. box the last 4 weeks and the dust in my home was horrible. If you have a building or basement you will need to get them out after about 4 weeks at the most. I had 6 that outgrew my bathtub home very quickly. Good luck with your little fuzzy butts. jean

The one with the poofy head feathers is Sazon, he's a Golden Polish. He's grown into a big handsome boy- I wanted to get rid of him for a while because when he hit puberty, he was really mean to my girls. Since then he's settled down and takes excellent care of them. I miss having the little babies around though, they are sooooo cute!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom