Hen vrs Copperhead

I called my sister in law, she is a wildlife biologist. She said she did not know of any treatment for copperhead bites to birds. She was hopefull though, as am I that the chicken is still alive after 6 hours. I know how to treat snake bites in dogs, but doseing a chicken with benadryl, how can you give it to them and not get it in their trachea? Anyway she is hanging in there, only her wattle is swollen, like the size of a big grape, and she is eating treats. When a dog or human is bitten there is a lot more diffuse swelling. This seems really localized which is good too, less danger of her airway being closed. Still it was better she got bit then one of my daughters. She is a good chicken.

I know that they used to give my grandmother's dogs milk to help them through a rattlesnake bite. Hopefully, the bite went straight through the wattles and not much venom was injected (I suspect that's the case because she's still breathing). I would try some live culture yogurt and, if you can get to her, maybe a find the wound and apply a simple poultice of tobacco (it draws out venoms), or even a baking soda/water poultice if you don't have access to tobacco. If you have any of the plant known as spiderwort the root will work when crushed and applied as well.

Mind you, these are old tried and true remedies for mammals. I don't know if it works for birds but if she isn't doing well and you're desperate, this might give you a place to start.

I hope your girl is okay, hitgsd. She may have saved you from the surprise no one wants.

We had a puppy get bitten by an 18-inch copperhead. The dog had an awful case of FAT HEAD for a few days then went back to its usual obnoxious self, so I guess there was no permanent damage. Like MetalSmitten said, the amount of venom can vary greatly.

I killed a two-foot copperhead four days ago that was lurking right beside one of our outdoor hose bibbs. Blended in nicely with the oak leaves--but not quite nicely enough.
roll.png

Our North Carolina Wildlife magazine just had an article on snakebites. Copperheads are the odds-on favorites in N.C. Funny thing (funny weird, not funny haha) is they usually bite on the toe or the foot so if you just wear sneakers you reduce the chances of getting a good hot load of venom. The rule of thumb is "shoes on and flashlight lighting the night path"; otherwise, it's no fun being on the receiving end of the anti-venom.

I have seen many dogs with copperhead bites, and they swell bad. This girls wattle only is swollen like a grape hanging from her face. There are no obviouse puctures, and thankfully no diffuse swelling. Just that grape looking thing. That I think is her saving grace, if the snake got her in the neck, or face...dead chicken. I know a woman who went outside at night to check a litter of puppies. She stepped on a copperhead and it got her on the ankle. she thought it was no big deal, she drove herself to the ER, less then 10 minutes away. By the time she got there her leg was about 5 times normal size. She swent the week in the hospital. I am very thankfull that it was not me or my kids. She is a good chicken.

Back
Top Bottom