Hen vrs Copperhead

hitgsd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
My 5 month olds where out free ranging in my 2 acre fenced yard. I stepped outside and heard one make the " I have something interesting to eat the rest of you get lost" call. I looked over and saw it was a big thing. Went closer, this is right outside my kitchen door mind you, and saw it was a snake. Got real close and saw it was a nasty copperhead. I am afraid I said some unlady like words, while trying to get the chickens away from the snake, who was very alive and striking at them. Don't know yet if it got one of them. No symptoms so far. If it did get one, well she earned her halo, I go barefoot all the time, I have dogs and kids. Copperheads will not kill you, but they will make you very sick. I am very proud of my girls today, 6 eggs from six girls, and one viper.

thumbsup.gif
your girls are awesome

Quote:
Did it get the shovel treatment? Ya know a little whack! to make him a split personality, so to speak... I like snakes but something like a copperhead would have to go on the last march...er I mean, slither.
lol.png

Well looks like one of the girls was bitten. Her wattle on one side is very swollen, and she is acting lethargic any ideas of what if anything I can do for her? Will she recover or should she be dispatched to end her suffering?

sorry to hear
sad.png
i'd give her a chance unless she seems to be truly suffering/struggling. snake bites are hard; sometimes the snakes don't inject very much venom, so some bites can be worse than others. so i'd go on a case by case basis. sendin good thoughts though.

I don't know what the chicken dose of Benadryl is or how often you can give it to them, but that's what I'd do.

Our vet said benedryl for the dog too plus a prednizone pill--worked both times I used them--I don't know if a chicken can have prednizone-it is the same kind of pill used for animals or humans my vet said. They will be lethargic for awhile -that is the poison that slows them down for the snake to swallow them and breaks down their systems. Hopefully she didn't get a bad bite.-poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom