Copperhead season

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
So I tried to read through other forums first, but didn’t see exactly what I was looking for…

I have four hens that I let range for 30 minutes to an hour a day (supervised). Their run backs up to the woods and I don’t worry about snakes getting in (after a 6 ft black snake got in when they were pullets I made sure to block any gaps). Last year they mostly stuck to paths or clear-ish areas, but this year they’ve decided exploring and eating in the brush (greenery) is really excellent. I worry about them coming across a copperhead or two. Should I restrict their ranging or do you think I’m being overly paranoid?

So I tried to read through other forums first, but didn’t see exactly what I was looking for…

I have four hens that I let range for 30 minutes to an hour a day (supervised). Their run backs up to the woods and I don’t worry about snakes getting in (after a 6 ft black snake got in when they were pullets I made sure to block any gaps). Last year they mostly stuck to paths or clear-ish areas, but this year they’ve decided exploring and eating in the brush (greenery) is really excellent. I worry about them coming across a copperhead or two. Should I restrict their ranging or do you think I’m being overly paranoid?
It comes down to your personal risk tolerance. Not really helpful, I know.

Are you near water? Usually copperheads are found around lakes, ponds or streams. I’ve never seen one in the woods here unless I was close to water. They like frogs and fish here. I was bit by one when I was young. I jumped a stream following one my uncles. The pain is unbelievable. Think hitting your thumb over and over with a hammer pain. So if you have them close to where you live, be darn careful.

Are you near water? Usually copperheads are found around lakes, ponds or streams. I’ve never seen one in the woods here unless I was close to water. They like frogs and fish here. I was bit by one when I was young. I jumped a stream following one my uncles. The pain is unbelievable. Think hitting your thumb over and over with a hammer pain. So if you have them close to where you live, be darn careful.
There’s a creek that runs through our neighborhood and is at the back of my lot. Our path runs down to it but the chickens usually only go down that far if they’re with me.

In the 10 years I’ve lived here I’ve only had one copperhead in my yard, but my neighbors had one bite their puppy on the nose, however this was next to their house, not down in the woods.

I’m not sure what to do now. I can’t let them in my backyard because our yard is treated. A big part of me was hoping everyone would say they’ll be fine and I was being paranoid.

There’s a creek that runs through our neighborhood and is at the back of my lot. Our path runs down to it but the chickens usually only go down that far if they’re with me.

In the 10 years I’ve lived here I’ve only had one copperhead in my yard, but my neighbors had one bite their puppy on the nose, however this was next to their house, not down in the woods.

I’m not sure what to do now. I can’t let them in my backyard because our yard is treated. A big part of me was hoping everyone would say they’ll be fine and I was being paranoid.
I think it is an “anything can happen” situation. Honestly though you are more likely to lose one to a health issue or hawk probably. I don’t recall seeing “help! snake bite!” posts on here…you’d think you would see them a lot if they were a common issue?

It's also possible they eat it. Mine tore a snake up a few weeks ago and the hens fought over it. Wasn't a copperhead but still they are fast and have much better eyesight than we do.

On that note! From my back porch!
20230419_222410.jpg

Back
Top Bottom