What the heck is going on with my australorps?

Yallqueda

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2023
Mountain View, Oklahoma
So we have about 50 free-range Australorps. 40-ish hens, 2 roosters, and 9 that were hatched and raised over the summer (out of 20 is hatchlings, only the 9 survived).
Received them June 21st of last year. They started laying in October-November and laid A TON of eggs. So much so that we were donating hundreds of eggs to the local food pantry’s and giving them away at church. Close to an egg a day from each hen.
That stopped in springtime. As the seasons started to change so did their habits and appearance. The hens started to loose feathers on their backs and wings. As this happened egg production dropped off dramatically but didn’t stop completely. They seemed to go through this process in groups of 5-10, and as one group started to recover feathers another group would start the process. We assumed it was a soft molt because some of the hens that finished became broody and started hatching chicks. As such egg collection slowed way down again. Might only get 10-15 a day.
This process seemed to be over by mid September but now, a month later, egg production has stopped entirely. We assumed that they were laying somewhere out in our oak forest so locked them up in their coop for a few days-zero eggs layed. The hens have also started what looks like a hard molt-feathers missing from heads, necks, backsides and tails. Some truly look awful so yeah, molting hardcore now…so what the heck happened in springtime?!

I can’t imagine they need additional sustinence-they free range on 40 acres of oak and cedar forest (and the surrounding 400 or so is undeveloped or fam land), with ticks, scorpions, grasshoppers, mice (yeah seriously watched one eat a small mouse a while ago) and all sorts of other things to eat. They’re big, healthy, friendly birds. They also get into the corn we feed our sheep and pigs. Plenty of fresh water on hand as well.

Their coop is admittedly small-probably only 1-2sqft/bird but they only ever sleep there or lay in the attached nest boxes. It didn’t stop them from giving us up to 40 eggs a day last year.

So, what’s going on with my Australorps? I figure time will sort it all out, but I don’t truly know and I’m starting to worry.

Some do go through a mini molt in the spring but usually it's only around the head and neck. Pictures would help. It may have been from feather picking, especially if your coop is crowded, or wearing from roosters mating.

It sounds like you don't provide any extra poultry ration? They could be trying to fix a deficiency by eating each other's feather. It's always best to offer a higher protein ration to free ranging birds. I don't know the protein content of bugs, but chickens generally need at least 16% minimum a day. Corn is only 8%, and acorns are probably not that high in protein either. So they may be lacking in protein.

I have some ideas about what could be going on. Do they range over 40 acres? Or is that how much you own?

What kind of housing - a single stationary building? multiple stationary buildings? Single or multiple movable housing units?

How many water sources? How far apart are the water sources from each other?

Do they have a salt and/or mineral salt source? Hm, besides the salt block for the sheep if they have one (you might consider changing to loose mineral salt if you do).

Have you ever had a different breed? What breed/s and did they also have access to ranging?

There is a world of difference between my black australorps and my brown leghorns regarding how interested they are in going after food. There is quite a lot of difference between individuals in each breed too but in my flock, the most laid-back leghorn runs rings around the australorp with the most hustle.

Some do go through a mini molt in the spring but usually it's only around the head and neck. Pictures would help. It may have been from feather picking, especially if your coop is crowded, or wearing from roosters mating.

It sounds like you don't provide any extra poultry ration? They could be trying to fix a deficiency by eating each other's feather. It's always best to offer a higher protein ration to free ranging birds. I don't know the protein content of bugs, but chickens generally need at least 16% minimum a day. Corn is only 8%, and acorns are probably not that high in protein either. So they may be lacking in protein.
That’s why we have so few roosters-2 of them to 40 hens. We did have issues initially but we solved that by doing in our excess roosters.

We’ve never fed them anything, to include when they were making an egg a day. We do supplement them with baked/crushed egg shells, but no protein. I can’t imagine any feed on earth is going to be able to compete with eating other animals, and these guys eat everything smaller than them. It hadn’t been an issue in the past. Before we got them we had White Plymouth rocks and they did fine without feed, they were just garbage brooders.

I have some ideas about what could be going on. Do they range over 40 acres? Or is that how much you own?
40 is our immediate homestead. They rarely venture off the 5 acres in our front yard. It’s notable when they do.
What kind of housing - a single stationary building? multiple stationary buildings? Single or multiple movable housing units?
Single stationary building. Elevated. Essentially just big enough for their roosts and attached nestboxes.
How many water sources? How far apart are the water sources from each other?
3 water sources, one for them, and a large Waterer each for our sheep and pigs. All topped off daily and cleaned as needed. Alternatively we have a wild spring and large river going through the property not far (300 meters) from their coop.
Do they have a salt and/or mineral salt source? Hm, besides the salt block for the sheep if they have one (you might consider changing to loose mineral salt if you do).
No, just regular salt blocks. We do give them some mixed into their baked and crushed eggshells. It’s a whole bunch of stuff my wife throws in there. Home brewed parasite control.
Have you ever had a different breed? What breed/s and did they also have access to ranging?
Yes we’ve had white rocks. They did fine with ranging but they never went broody so we did them in and went with Australorps. Never had any issues free ranging them.
There is a world of difference between my black australorps and my brown leghorns regarding how interested they are in going after food. There is quite a lot of difference between individuals in each breed too but in my flock, the most laid-back leghorn runs rings around the australorp with the most hustle.
These guys are all cold blooded killers.
I can’t imagine a fate than being smaller than a chicken-if it’s smaller than them they eat it. I’ve watched these guys run down grasshoppers, nab butterflies out of the air, gulp down scorpions and assassinate tarantulas. Even mice. They are absolutely brutal.

Chances are they may ell be laying out in the range area somewhere.

We do give them some mixed into their baked and crushed eggshells. It’s a whole bunch of stuff my wife throws in there. Home brewed parasite control.
What exactly does she put in there?

We’ve never fed them anything
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1698434192806.png

Chances are they may ell be laying out in the range area somewhere.
That was my suspicion, hence why we locked them up for a few days. I was shocked that they still laid nothing in the coop
What exactly does she put in there?
Good question. I know red pepper or something like that but I’ll get details and report back
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3669518
Updated! We are in southwest oklahoma. Admittedly it was an oddly wet spring and hot summer immediately thereafter.

Red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Also said if she had leftover sourdough starter it will go into the mix.

I was dubious of that, but it makes her happy so why not lol
I get that but frankly, it doesn't sound healthy in the long run. A homestead only lasts as long as long as the animals health lasts.

Back
Top Bottom