Mille Cochin Info

Quote:
i think you would get black split to mille fleur and then you need to take the offspring and breed back to the mille fleur. should get roughly 50% mille fleurs from this cross but the type should be better

Quote:
You would get a black/MF cross and possibly some good type but where to go from there? If you do not have a typy MF to continue with then you will just be breeding that type back out. However, if you have a really typy pullet and roo (full bro and sis) and cross those together you could help continue that bloodline with good type. Do not select for color or pattern. The genetics will be there in that first generation. If you breed for color, you will lose your type by F3. If you bred for type, then you may not get your color until much, much later.

I, personally, would not breed in black. You are looking for a long hard road of trying to get type and color in with that. Not saying it isn't a hard long road to start with but it would be a much shorter road to find a typy Mottled, buff Columbian or a MF project bird. Well begun is half done.
Good luck!

Thanks for the sound advice WestKnollAmy,,,I think that is the way to go then. Msbear told me something like that too. So I will be on the hunt for some nice MFCs next spring/summer/fall. Or hatching eggs.

Thanks Cochincoop too, that is good genetic advice which I am lacking in. Overnight I realized it would be too much work and generations to get to my goal. And I think it would be too hard to keep track of all the splits because my cochins like to have free run around here in the summer.

Last edited:
Quote:
yes that is the same problem that I am having in my blr's I don't have the space to breed what it takes. I'm getting pretty good results though, just that it would be a lot faster if I had more room or didn't like all the pretty birds i'm getting lol

lol I have that problem. I was thinking how nice it would be to just have cochins and no other breed. But what would I do with all me little sweetys? lol

But,, if I just had cochins,,,the I would probably just get more colors. lol

Last edited:
Quote:
exactly
tongue.png

Thanks to Erin, I have a new boy for my MFC projects. I was going to let him have both of my girls, Millie and Mildred, but decided to see what Milton, my more calico cockerel, will give me. My girls are supposed to be about 8 months now and they are still not laying and I was hoping to get my first generation at least hatched this year yet. Alas, the girls are not cooperating. Anyways, meet...

Milroy
82238_milroy.jpg

He's broader and has more type than Milton. He'll have my calico girls and hopefully he'll help fix their coloring.

Also thanks to Erin, I have my first Buff Columbian pair! The cockerel is from Tom Roebuck's BC rooster.
So, here's...

Byron
82238_byron.jpg
82238_byrontop.jpg

Bridgette
82238_brigette2.jpg
82238_brigette.jpg

I need to get new pictures of my two Black Mottled cockerels, Beakman and Lester. I'm not sure either are worth keeping, but they are 16wks and I'll have to give them some more time. Lester has a less than desirable comb and I think he has the longer back. Both have very nice foot feathers.

ETA:
They are still in their quarantine cages. Another two weeks to go!

Last edited:
Today was move out day for 2 BLRW chicks who are 8 weeks old. I moved their cage into the coop but on the way Daisy and Rose had to stop by and let the babies know they were boss. The millie sisters are the only bantams I have out of 18 and they are the bosses lol

Here is Daisy running over to see what we were up to
IMG_0955.jpg

Daisy and Rose checking out the babies Im sure thinking..."More, you have got to be kidding me...right?"
IMG_0961.jpg

And here is Miss Lilly Mae just because. She was to busy bossing everyone else around to come see what was going on lol
IMG_0792.jpg

Back
Top Bottom