One more question. Sorry! This one about $$$.

mmm, so I kinda like math
hide.gif
So far, the average feed consumption rate of everyone who posted has figured out to be .2 lbs/animal/day*

*Kevin's average feed consumption was somewhat lower than everyone else's (.166666 lbs/animal/day) if you exclude him from the averages, then the average goes up slightly to .2332 lbs/animal/day

18 chickens, 2 chicks, 3 ducks, 1 turkey, 5 quail
1 bag layer pellets- $14, 1 bag scratch- $14, 1/2 bag gamebird feed $7 each month,mixed together in varying amounts for different birds.
Oyster shell if you feed all flock. Bedding, depending on how your pen is set up. Treats, although not neccessary, are fun. You're also going to want an incubator eventually, trust me. Might as well figure that in...That's about all I can think of.

Quote:
3 of my ducks are bantam size. Sorry i should have mention that.

Quote:
3 of my ducks are bantam size. Sorry i should have mention that.

Oh you're fine, no apology needed. I can't believe how similar everyone's feed consumptions are... really prety amazing considering everyone just said, "oh, a bag lasts me about this long."

6 light weight ducks...one bag lasts a month. A little less this time of year since I tend to feed them a little more. $21 per 50 lb bag....lucky West Coaster!

Husband says would be less if I would get rid of the "extra" drakes. Extra = not laying and not earning their keep - unless you consider their personalities and the fact that the duck lady loves them.

Last edited:
Oh you're fine, no apology needed. I can't believe how similar everyone's feed consumptions are... really prety amazing considering everyone just said, "oh, a bag lasts me about this long."

I thought the same thing.. My 5 runners have been eating about 50lbs ($12) every 6 weeks since they are not free-ranging as much. I looked it up in Storey's Guide and it even says 0.15 - 0.4 lbs/day while not producing, and 0.2 - 0.6 lbs/day during laying season depending on the weight of the duck. Apparently, feed consumption is the one thing all of our ducks agree on!!
lol.png

8 ducks, 4 ducklings, 5 chicks and one cat.... Just kidding
tongue.png

For the poultry it takes 2 and a half 50lb a month to feed em all. The ducks barly eat anything! They only eat a half a lb each for winter!.... This is mine though. The chicks and ducklings are little pigs though
lol.png

So all in all it costs $10 for feed here, so thats $26 for feed a month
smile.png

Dang. Send me some of that $10 feed please!! I think mines up to about $15, It might be higher, but idk because I don't like to look at the price... it just makes me depressed
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom