½" x 1" hardware cloth; will it keep out weasels?

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hey everyone,

I came across a chicken tractor plan that recommended ½" x 1' wire for under the floor as predator protection, saying the poops can fall through more easily than the ½"x ½" and it's easier on their feet. Sounds good, but I've heard on this forum that weasels can potentially fit through ⅞" gap, a gap "the size of a quarter." If so, it seems to me that the ½" x 1" is not secure from weasels. What do you think?

Here's a picture of the wire, conveniently shown on a website with a quarter in the view:
1:2x1inchWire.png

NOW I see that you are doing a chicken tractor, movable, not a stationary coop. Any wire will add weight, not helpful, and digging critters will still reach through and damage feet.
Our hoop house tractor did not have any wire flooring, and worked out well. Ours was next to the house on grass, moved often, and apparently didn't attract night visitors. Maybe luck, but it worked out fine.
Mary

Thank you, Mary. I wouldn't have the birds walk on it. I'm designing my own tractor, and want it just below the roosts as a part of an extra-protective nighttime setup within the tractor. I imagine them putting their feet on the roosts, not the wire, and the poops falling through onto the ground. But I agree, I don't think that wire is sufficiently safe, which would defeat the purpose, which has me leaning towards a droppings board instead, far easier to clean than dealing with poops on ½ x ½ inch wire.

And thank you, I appreciate your report about the hoop tractor. I'm being extra cautious, as I have at least one weasel (an ermine, or stoat) living in the barn that is 10' from where I plan to park this tractor in the winter, with the birds in it. Long term I want to build a Woods Open Air Coop for them, but DH isn't ready for that degree of commitment, hence the tractor that needs to be fully predator proof-able.

Thanks for your input!

The poops wouldn't fall through even 1x1 wire. They are often the size of golf balls.
Hi 3KB! Nice to see you, I hope you're feeling better.

I had no idea they would often be that big! Good to know! I figured I'd be dealing with at least a few that didn't fall through, but this is telling. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom