¿Right breed of ducks for me?

liddibug

Hatching
Aug 22, 2016
I'm on a quest for the best backyard duckies! I'm considering a handful of breeds. Some of the desired characteristics are: quiet, excellent foragers (bugs are a problem here!), and eggs are always a plus. I only want two ducks, possibly Indian Runner ducks (probably too loud for our peaceful neighborhood?), or Cayuga. I'm exploring my options...any recommendations for some quiet foragers that can't fly? Thanks!
1f60a.png

I personally find Australian Spotted ducks to be the most ideal backyard ducks because they are bantam sized (about 2 pounds) and lay eggs that are the same size as chicken eggs (no conversions when using recipes). They are the best foragers and best layers of the bantam breeds, plus the hens are awesome mothers and the drakes get the job done without being overly aggressive.

They are not too loud but any duck that learns to make noise to get what it wants will make noise whenever they want something so our ducks always have food and water and they have duck companions that keep them content. They are intelligent so if there is a hole in a fence they will find it. They also need to have their wings clipped twice a year or they will fly.

The Spots have so much personality that we have dedicated ourselves to preserving this rare breed. You won't find them in feed stores but as more people raise them they should get easier to find from local breeders who follow good breeding practices.

If you want/need quiet, Muscovies are always the best. They are much quieter than any of the other breeds and are great for snail/slug/bug control. I don't personally care for them since where I grew up they were an invasive species that were all over the place, but alot of people like them. ;)

Really, all breeds should be good at bug control, and all can be very friendly and fun. It all depends on how they are raised. I have Cayugas, Cayuga crosses, and a couple of Call Ducks. You don't want to go with Call Ducks if you need quiet ducks, I'll just say that right now. lol! But my Cayugas are awesome and I would highly recommend them to anyone! They are not the best layers though, mine only lay maybe 2-3 months out of the year and that's it. But they sure eat alot of bugs/snail/slugs! I wouldn't categorize them as "quiet" either. Hmm...

I'm not sure any of that was actually helpful, lol! Sorry.

The Australian Spotted ducks have caught my attention, I like everything I've found out about them. I'm personally not a fan of the Muscovies.
1f60a.png
Another thing is that I have a dog...I'm wondering how she will handle ducks in her backyard.
1f604.png
I have it somewhat narrowed down to Indian Runners, Australian Spotted, Mini Appleyard, Welsh Harlequin, Magpie and East Indie ducks. I still have a lot of research to do! :)

Indian Runners can be a bit crazy running everywhere. I had some once and I will never do it again. They literally ran in circles all bunched together making a fuss! If you are not in love with their profile you will not fall in love with them for their personality, lol.

It is good that you are doing the research now instead of getting mystery ducks and then trying to figure out what you got yourself into. ;)

Indian Runners can be a bit crazy running everywhere. I had some once and I will never do it again. They literally ran in circles all bunched together making a fuss! If you are not in love with their profile you will not fall in love with them for their personality, lol.

It is good that you are doing the research now instead of getting mystery ducks and then trying to figure out what you got yourself into. ;)

I've taken care of some Indian Runners for family while they were away, I really like their crazy personalities.
1f604.png
I enjoy them, but neighbors might not.
1f612.png
263a.png

Welsh Harlequin ducks are a medium breed (don't fly), excellent foragers, quiet,and fair layers.
Plus, they are beautiful adults! :)

I have two mallards and two welsh harlequins. Mallards are good foragers but they can fly. The females have a loud quack but they only quack when there's a reason.

I have runners and a welsh harlequin. My girls get loud when their food bin is empty and 2 of them come up on the deck to knock on the back door and let us know they need food.
As far as loudness... my runners were loud until they matured. Now they only get loud if something sets them off or they really have something to share. I have chickens and their egg laying song and let me out in the morning screams are louder than my ducks.

Back
Top Bottom