“Chicken Hatching Experiment”

RebekahMarie

Chirping
Jan 20, 2022
North Carolina, US
My 12 yo daughter is calling this the Chicken Hatching Experiment, or CHE for short 😂

We are pretty much newbies but one of the Buff Orpington hens that we got from an older lady nearby (who breeds/raises them herself) has decided to go broody. She has all the textbook broody characteristics.

So yesterday I went to a friends place who has a rooster and got 12 fertile eggs. Last night I slipped them under the broody (up to this point she had just been sitting on fake eggs or whatever infertile eggs had been laid that day).

So I’m going to try this “crazy” experiment and let nature take its course! Anybody want to follow along? Anyone else out there letting a hen do her thing? I’m excited to see what happens!!

Attachments

• B059CA10-DEA6-422D-B1DA-DB2CBC0897D7.jpeg
    B059CA10-DEA6-422D-B1DA-DB2CBC0897D7.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 12
This afternoon I went out for my daily check. She was still setting but one of the eggs was broken all to pieces. (so, 11 eggs are left) Is this a normal thing that happens or is it a bad sign regarding her potential fitness as a mother?

This afternoon I went out for my daily check. She was still setting but one of the eggs was broken all to pieces. (so, 11 eggs are left) Is this a normal thing that happens or is it a bad sign regarding her potential fitness as a mother?
It could mean one of the other hens wanted that box and fought or she accidentally hit one. Does she have private area? It doesn't mean anything about her being a bad/good mom.

Might be too many eggs for her to handle. Make sure you mark the eggs under her and remove any new ones. I have a broody sitting on some eggs at the moment as well. Eggs are due in about a week.

It could mean one of the other hens wanted that box and fought or she accidentally hit one. Does she have private area? It doesn't mean anything about her being a bad/good mom.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I was originally planning on moving her when I got the fertile eggs, into a dog crate on the floor of the coop so that she can be separated a little, but then I got scared about trying to move her and whether she would abandon the eggs and go back to the nesting box that she clearly prefers.
It’s hard to know what to do bc if you read a lot you get so many peoples differing opinions and experiences, kwim?

We just had our first broody experience. A young buff Orpington. After the other girls stepping on two of the eggs, I did this and it was clear sailing the rest of the way

View attachment 3043839
Your setup looks awesome. Our broody is also a young Buff Orpington. If I could somehow put up a divider to separate her I totally would, but I’ve wracked my brain and there’s no way to separate her without moving her and the nest; and I guess I’m too afraid to do that.

How many chicks did you end up getting?

Your setup looks awesome. Our broody is also a young Buff Orpington. If I could somehow put up a divider to separate her I totally would, but I’ve wracked my brain and there’s no way to separate her without moving her and the nest; and I guess I’m too afraid to do that.

How many chicks did you end up getting?
Let her keep 9 eggs. 1 was not fertile, 2 got stepped on. She hatched out 6 but one had a limp and died. Still not sure how that happened. The other five are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom