“Fly Rid Plus” by Durvet for MITES??? HELP!

KauaiChickenMama

Songster
Jul 11, 2021
Kauai, Hawaii
Have any of you used Fly Rid Plus by Durvet on your chickens? This is the only permethrin product my local feed store carries on Kauai. It’s a premix spray of .5% permethrin.

I have a new mite situation that is getting out of hand. Omg, I just squashed a mite on my screen as I am typing this to you guys. And I’m sitting on my couch in my house. I’m freaked. I need to act quickly. The mites are light in color and very tiny. Some are so small that I can’t feel them crawling on my hands but can see them if I look closely with my glasses on.
I’ve researched various threads on this forum with many experienced members, including cmom, preferring the .5% solution. Reading the warning label on the back of the bottle scares me, however. 😬 Is this spray actually SAFE to use in the chicken area? And on the chickens themselves? The front label claims it is for poultry and it has a picture of a chicken along with other farm animals at the top, above the name brand. Yet the back label goes into great detail about how to protect yourself and surrounding feed areas while using it. It makes me weary of using it on myself and my surroundings let alone my chickens.

Please, please share with me your thoughts and recommendations, BYC peeps.

That will work. That is what most premixed sprays are.

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 5
I do use precautions and when it dries it's fine. I have used it on my birds, careful not to get in in their face. I'm glad you have read my posts. I would not post if it hadn't worked well for me. I had such a severe infestation in the past I'm sure if I hadn't started treatments when I did I may have lost some birds they were in such bad shape but they did recover. At first I thought they were molting until I discovered they were covered in mites and lice. It did take some time for them to recover. Good luck...

Thank you for replying to my post, cmom! I really appreciate your knowledge. And yes, I’ve been researching many of your comments and posts. The back of the label though...it really scares me. How did you get passed that? And how quickly does the .5% Permethrin solution work? Is this SAFE to spray on me and inside my housE as well as ON the chickens themselves? It specifically says not to. Ugh, I have itchy bites all over my stomach and now on my back. I’m worried they could be in my bed now. Is that possible? Omg, I’m washing everything I can. Not sure if it’s all in my head or what, as I read somewhere that poultry mites don’t even like humans and are not a threat to us. With itchy bites all over me and seeing them crawl on the screen of my phone, I’m utterly freaked. Is it warmth that they like? I’m slathering myself with coconut oil as we speak, hoping it will help keep them away from me. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I forgot to attach my pictures of the spray bottle in my original post. Are any of you on BYC familiar with this product? Or is it all the same if the ingredients are basically the same?

Attachments

• 02DF2B31-E381-4289-BB85-23D26EA3AE78.jpeg
    02DF2B31-E381-4289-BB85-23D26EA3AE78.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 4
  • 32C86C53-61D9-4645-8665-5517ACA80042.jpeg
    32C86C53-61D9-4645-8665-5517ACA80042.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 3A640A8E-EA3C-4783-B427-697C73B0D44F.jpeg
    3A640A8E-EA3C-4783-B427-697C73B0D44F.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 3
You could try over the counter lice shampoo for people. Every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment for head lice contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). They are an effective treatment.

No problem! You respond to SO many different people on this forum, cmom! Hey, I have to ask you again...how did you get passed all of the warnings on the back of the label? I want you to know that I don’t doubt you by any means, I’m just trying to feel more confident about using it as the back label is FULL of warnings. I’m sure the same warnings would apply to Rid or Nix. Have you sprayed the .5% on yourself? Or in your own house? And did you say you sprayed it directly on your chickens as well? I included some pictures of the .5% spray I bought...are you familiar with this brand? Or is it basically the same thing if the active ingredient is the same?

I do use precautions and when it dries it's fine. I have used it on my birds, careful not to get in in their face. I'm glad you have read my posts. I would not post if it hadn't worked well for me. I had such a severe infestation in the past I'm sure if I hadn't started treatments when I did I may have lost some birds they were in such bad shape but they did recover. At first I thought they were molting until I discovered they were covered in mites and lice. It did take some time for them to recover. Good luck...
What did you do to help them recover? Were they anemic?

Back
Top Bottom