… so I’m all in at this point.

:welcome Not a good idea to brood them all together as they all have different needs among other things. They imprint on each other not knowing differences creating problems later as already been stated. Size is only one difference to be concerned with. Turkeys and Guinea have different feed needs. Guineas do much better in their own flock of usually 5-10 birds larger the flock the better.
…what do you mean by imprint?

@Ruler of the Roost When things are hatched/born their nature is to imprint/ learn from what they see and hear. Imagining themselves, mimicking as to what is around them whether it be good for them or not. Such as a mother duck raising a chick and as soon as chick is old enough, mother duck takes chick to pond and chick follows duck into water and drowns. Is that the mother ducks' fault no, chicks fault no. Mother duck was doing what she should be doing teaching young to swim, chick didn't know it wasn't supposed to go in water. Why didn't chick know not to go in water, because it was IMPRINTED on mother duck. Thinking it was a duck and doing what ducks do swim and wasn't good outcome for chick. They can and do even imprint on humans which can create problems as well. Best example of imprinting as I could think of. EDIT to add definition.
  1. zoology
    (imprint on)
    (of a young animal) come to recognize (another animal, person, or thing) as a parent or other object of habitual trust:
    "the bird thought I was its mother and imprinted on me" · "goslings will imprint themselves on inanimate objects such as a cardboard box"

Last edited:
…what do you mean by imprint?

@Ruler of the Roost When things are hatched/born their nature is to imprint/ learn from what they see and hear. Imagining themselves, mimicking as to what is around them whether it be good for them or not. Such as a mother duck raising a chick and as soon as chick is old enough, mother duck takes chick to pond and chick follows duck into water and drowns. Is that the mother ducks' fault no, chicks fault no. Mother duck was doing what she should be doing teaching young to swim, chick didn't know it wasn't supposed to go in water. Why didn't chick know not to go in water, because it was IMPRINTED on mother duck. Thinking it was a duck and doing what ducks do swim and wasn't good outcome for chick. They can and do even imprint on humans which can create problems as well. Best example of imprinting as I could think of. EDIT to add definition.
  1. zoology
    (imprint on)
    (of a young animal) come to recognize (another animal, person, or thing) as a parent or other object of habitual trust:
    "the bird thought I was its mother and imprinted on me" · "goslings will imprint themselves on inanimate objects such as a cardboard box"
Ohhh…well damn. How can I fix the situation I have? I wants them all to be one cohesive flock. I guess that is not possible? They’ve already been together about a week.

What are you feeding them all now? How do you plan on raising them together? In a coop and run or free range?
Free range. 18% plus mealworms. I was told that the turkey could eat the 18% if I supplemented additional protein, hence the meal worms. Have them all in the brooder set up currently. Everyone is getting along so far

Free range. 18% plus mealworms. I was told that the turkey could eat the 18% if I supplemented additional protein, hence the meal worms. Have them all in the brooder set up currently. Everyone is getting along so far
Only problem with mealworms is they are high in fat, and this isn't a balanced diet giving them all they need to reach their potential or not have problems later on. If it were me would get them some turkey/gamebird starter for your young turkeys and guinea. You won't have issues when they are young, good luck in your adventures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom