☛*PICS-Elderly hen was EGG BOUND w/2 eggs; now can't stand or walk it's been more than 2 weeks! :(

hey:)
I'm sure those worms aren't helping any perhaps worming her will help, as for the paralysis, i know that the nerves to the legs run next to the kidney's i could imagine that with her being egg bound there was backup behind and it it is possible that the combining factors of stress, pain, backup of feces and urea and compression caused a kidney infection (you mentioned her poo was yellow.. when the white is yellow or green this is often a symptom of kidney of liver distress). severe kidney infection can cause paralysis.. this would be my guess.. if the anti b's you treated her with fixed the infection and her poo is back to normal then i think that the infection probably caused permanent damage to the nerves, I am sorry to say this, you are obviously the type of person to go the whole way for your animals and as someone who is paraplegic, i am never in favour of euthanasia without exhausting the possibilities for recovery, whilst there is still a chance her legs will improve in this case i think they are low, still a vet visit will give you a better idea and perhaps the anti's you gave her didn't knock out the infection and there is still room for improvement..
i wish you all the best and that i am wrong,that the vet will go here's a fix and your hen will make a comeback.
wishes. olive.

Hi everyone, I finally got the chance to have access to the internet. Sequoia, my hen who is sick, is alive but as before she's only stabilized. I made her a little vest with shoelaces that were attached to a overhead board to help her stand and gain back movement back in her legs.But I didn't make it very well and she seemed to not think it was comfortable. I'm going to make another vest but out of better fabric material. We're going to the vet this week to see what we can do to help her. I'll post back once we visit the vet. Wish us luck.

I'm thinking that she can't walk because of her former sprained ankle so I'm trying to see if that's the problem. Although I won't quickly find out until I take her to the vet to get x-rays.

Here are the pictures of the parasites that came out in her excrement:
Those large roundworms are the cause of all your problems.
Use valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer, 1/2cc undiluted given orally to her or safegaurd liquid goat wormer 3/4cc undiluted orally. Repeat dosing again in 7-10 days.

hi sarahndipiity,
this is a genuine q not being a fecetious,
i have seen bad cases of roundworm make a bird very sick but i was not aware that they could cause paralysis for weeks at a time.. is this true?
thanks,
olive.

hi sarahndipiity,
this is a genuine q not being a fecetious,
i have seen bad cases of roundworm make a bird very sick but i was not aware that they could cause paralysis for weeks at a time.. is this true?
thanks,
olive.
Worms weaken the immune system opening the door for all types of bacterial, viral, and fungal infections to invade their bodies. Here's a link on this same subject. The member thought she was dealing with a respiratory disease which caused all types of symptoms and problems requiring various treatments. She had a necrospy performed and found the root of the problem were worms:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=576036

Back
Top Bottom