⭐ Kiki's Year Long 🌶️

PXL_20210917_124726812.jpg

Elk,
Just bought a quart of honey that is dark and tastes of caramelized goodness. Claims it is raw and unfiltered. This means it's not pasteurized, true? What would make a honey dark? Thanks
The source. As I recall, Buckwheat honey is dark. I might be wrong about this but I believe that Russian Olive honey is also dark.

On the other hand, truth in advertising claims is a very fragile, often crossed line.

One way to get honey to caramelize is too heat it above 160°F. Of course once you heat it above that temperature it is no longer honey because the sugars convert to other types of sugars.

While melting and reclaiming bee's wax, I produced a product that both tasted and looked like molasses.

Elk,
Just bought a quart of honey that is dark and tastes of caramelized goodness. Claims it is raw and unfiltered. This means it's not pasteurized, true? What would make a honey dark? Thanks
One way to tell if it has not been heated or filtered is if there are bits of wax in it. If there are no bits of wax, it definitely has been filtered. If it has been filtered, it may also have been heated.

One way to tell if it has not been heated or filtered is if there are bits of wax in it. If there are no bits of wax, it definitely has been filtered. If it has been filtered, it may also have been heated.
That is one thing I noticed. This jar is extremely clean. The unfiltered honey I last had had wax and bee parts in it. This is why I am questioning what I have. Definitely doesn't taste "raw and unfiltered".

If it wasn't 4x as expensive as the local honey, I might keep it in the cabinet for a change. The local honey is golden and delicately flavored.

That is one thing I noticed. This jar is extremely clean. The unfiltered honey I last had had wax and bee parts in it. This is why I am questioning what I have. Definitely doesn't taste "raw and unfiltered".

If it wasn't 4x as expensive as the local honey, I might keep it in the cabinet for a change. The local honey is golden and delicately flavored.
Very often misleading advertising is used as a means to increase the price of a product.

I laugh every time I see a package of meat with "gluten free" on the package.

Back
Top Bottom