🚨Wanted: Tips for Raising Hormonal Bad Boys

As expensive as chicken is at the grocery store, I'm surprised someone hasn't snatched them up! Maybe that's a sign on how far we are removed from the food chain. Someone did suggest taking them to the deer butcher, good idea.
Not everyone thinks it's worth the time to process. It's not for me when I have extra males, I just have to suck it up for some okay chicken

Mine are hard too by myself. I'm just not great at holding them still and handling the scissors without a third hand
Whack their heads on a length of 4x4 to stun them. Makes it way easier. Quail have way less personality than chickens, so butchering them is much easier, emotionally, IMO.

I actually keep a log round nearby, stun them, plop them on the log and lop the head off with a khukri. I had a pretty traumatic experience with a failed snip using my normal poultry shears once prior to this setup.

That's what I am trying to figure out with this thread.

I'm actively trying to rehome them, but until then I don't know what to do since they're all the same age, I don't have a place to separate them unless I keep them in the run, and I'm not able to butcher them.

Yes, I'm aware. I kicked him out of the way so he wouldn't hurt the pullet, who was much smaller. Not to hurt him.
Feets don't tell people you kicked him cuz people are going to think that you actually did kick him instead of just pushing him out of the way with your leg.

Whack their heads on a length of 4x4 to stun them. Makes it way easier. Quail have way less personality than chickens, so butchering them is much easier, emotionally, IMO.

I actually keep a log round nearby, stun them, plop them on the log and lop the head off with a khukri. I had a pretty traumatic experience with a failed snip using my normal poultry shears once prior to this setup.
Screenshot_20220724-163926.png

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Thankfully I did not have to separate them, or butcher anyone, thanks to my awesome friend @MGG who knew someone who could take all eight. I just dropped them all off yesterday.
So I now just have my two little bantam cochin cockerels who are very sweet 🥰

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Thankfully I did not have to separate them, or butcher anyone, thanks to my awesome friend @MGG who knew someone who could take all eight. I just dropped them all off yesterday.
So I now just have my two little bantam cochin cockerels who are very sweet 🥰
@MGG is da bomb!

Thanks Gee!

Back
Top Bottom