0 Degrees... Will my Crested Duck be Ok??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, She has done fine in 20-30 degrees, but we have a wind chill of 0 today. I noticed she is hiding under the chicken coop (which is heated). But She won't stop laying on her feet.. Can she tolerate these temps?? The Cayuga duck goes inside the coop with my 3 LARGE hens, so I know she is ok. But Sunshine won't go in. I will bring her in if I really have to. I don't want to wake up to frozen "ducksicles" .[​IMG]

2. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    She needs to be in a sheltered place out of the wind...i would stick her in the coop tonight...you don't want her feet to freeze off!

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... I know she has a down coat, but I did worry about her feet! Now, to try to catch her.. wish me luck!! [​IMG]

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    This morning we were at -30F our Mallards, Kaki Campbells, and Rouens are surviving. Make sure they have an area free of wind and draft. They sit on their feet to warm them up, ours will take a few steps then sit down or run to the food and sit down or stand like a flamingo for a minute or two at a time.

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Yes make sure to put her in the coop every night.
    Don't bring her in your house. Its not good for them to get use to a warm house then stick them back out.
    Make sure to provide plenty of food including some cracked corn which helps them stay warm
    A little lukewarm water would be nice too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by