0 degrees

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
the thermometer is flirting with 0 this morning, my diesel truck was not enthusiastic about starting this morning as I forgot to plug it in, but on the plus side, it emitted enough blue smoke in its efforts it will keep the mosquitoes down for a while.

wondering if I ought to let the ducks out or keep them in at this temperature. I was going to put down a couple buckets of straw in their favorite napping spot but in typical duck fashion they don't seem to trust it for a couple days and go nap somewhere else on the snow....dummies.

Maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for..
7D0A3F17-6C0A-4675-89EC-67F539BBDE33.jpeg

It's the wind that give our guys pause. It's cold here, and we stayed in bed and watched our ducks on the duckhouse camera this morning (wow! We have not done that forever!!). Usually the ducks are up early and on the ramp listening for us (and sometimes calling us ;-)), but this morning they stayed snuggled in until almost 9am.

When we did open up the run, they were hesitant at first (14F and blowing a gale but sunny), but then they made their way to their pond in usual jovial fashion. Unfortunately it was frozen, so back home they came for a warm soup breakfast and then back to bed.

ducks snuggled duckhouse.jpg

It's the wind that give our guys pause. It's cold here, and we stayed in bed and watched our ducks on the duckhouse camera this morning (wow! We have not done that forever!!). Usually the ducks are up early and on the ramp listening for us (and sometimes calling us ;-)), but this morning they stayed snuggled in until almost 9am.

When we did open up the run, they were hesitant at first (14F and blowing a gale but sunny), but then they made their way to their pond in usual jovial fashion. Unfortunately it was frozen, so back home they came for a warm soup breakfast and then back to bed.

View attachment 2501054
Cold here this morning in Western Maine too. 14F with wind chill -0F whatever that means. the minus part. Wind at 14 mph from the NW at 0700. Birds came out but as soon as the wind whipped up they went back in. I usually leave the entrance door open while I do chores so they can come and go as they please. I don't have ducks. Even though my birds love to peck each other they know enough to snuggle at night. LOL Good luck with your ducks.

Zero here this AM too with a windchill of something horrible. Mine are chilling inside waiting on their sisters! Daphne still insisted on a bath because she hadn’t had one in a day. It’s now sunny, and maybe 5 degrees, but I’m sure they have no interest in venturing out!

Zero here this AM too with a windchill of something horrible. Mine are chilling inside waiting on their sisters! Daphne still insisted on a bath because she hadn’t had one in a day. It’s now sunny, and maybe 5 degrees, but I’m sure they have no interest in venturing out!
Are you saying a "water" bath. OMG get out the hair dryer..........

Back
Top Bottom