0% hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poulet, May 5, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    [​IMG] I am so sad this is my third hatch and I thought results would be better not worse all of them hadn't pipped at day 23 so I carfully opened them one by one and they are all dead [​IMG] fully devoloped except one I don't know what I did wrong . need some sympathy I don't know if I want to do this any more it is too nerve racking and upsetting when all your babies are dead [​IMG]

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    My first two hatches this year were the same a big fat zero !!! However I have 5 already out and 2 more coming out don't give up !!! It is so hard not to I know. It will happen. Sorry for your loss and good luck !!!

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    What kind of incubator are you using? What are the temp and humidity values being kept at? What type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using? Do you have more than one to check accuracy? What type of eggs are you trying to hatch and are they local or shipped? If you could provide the details it would be much easier to help troubleshoot what the problem might be.

4. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    Quote:They were my own marans eggs ( they don't seem to want to sit !), I have a covina bater that can take 16 eggs with a built in thermometer . My last two hatchs were okay the only difference was that while I was away for one week my DH didn't check the water and when I returned there was none ! . However all the chicks were fully developed so this can't be the reason or could it ?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've seen pics of your incubator type, sounds very nice ....Only thing I can tell you is to keep a record of your temps/humidity ...makes sure if it has vents they get sufficient oxygen...make sure your thermostat and thermometer are working properly....would be good to invest in a hygrometer to set inside the bator to help monitor your humidity...

Something should have hatched is all I can say...if they are from your own chickens eggs....

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm sorry poulet about your hatch.

7. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry to hear about your hatch. :aww I would do like Tuffoldhen says...perhaps invest in a hygrometer or a seperate thermometer just so you know its not your built in one giving false readings.

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

so sorry that you had such bad luck. [​IMG] Not sure if this is any consolation, but out of 20 eggs, I only got one little one. 8 were also fully developed and dead. I guess my little fella was a miracle.

For me I think it might have been too low humidity and too high a temp. I checked every couple of hours, but did leave for a full day to help my DIL. DH 'watched' them... and that's always a big concern.

I've read that even if the humidity drops for just a short while the membrane becomes too tight and they can't get out... or so I've read.

I'm going to try again - hope you do too. Good luck with your future hatches. Don't lose faith. [​IMG]

9. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Je suis desolé, Poulet!

10. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    merci , vous ete francais ?
    sorry don't have the accents on my key board as it is English

Last edited: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by