007 killing chickens? Help!

dacdeihl

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
NorthEast, In
I have a burried welded wire fence that is six feet high with a netting across the top. On Monday one chicken was killed with the breast meet eaten. So I shut them in again with just the window tipped in for venting. Nothing on Tuesday and this morning I had students come to me again and told me another chicken was dead out side the coop in the run. Now I think the hen was roosting on top of the window because there was poo on the outside window pane. One part of the fence there is a verticle wire gone (it came that way, didn't think anything could fit) and tracks out. Don't know what kind of prints, but a good size. Again breast meet gone. What can fit into a 5" x 5" square hole and jump up to knock the hen out the window, be quick enough to case it down and eat it. Two hens in three days is a little much for our students. This is a farm school where little kids help take care of the animals. This one stumps me.

Quote:
I'm no expert but I would say Racoon? If I were you though I would get a live trap to find out or night vision cam the kind hunters use to track deer or both IMHO I would do both just in case.
Please post what ever it is when you find out I want to know myself now.

If it is getting through a hole that small, this should be an easy catch. Make a wire snare out of very thin wire. Hang the loop a few inches out on a headless nail. Make sure the other end is secured well to the wall.

This might be something you would not want the kids to see, so set this after hours and get in early in the morning to dispose of the critter.

Good luck,

Rufus

Hey.... I'm not killing any chickens.
tongue.png

Raccoon , possom , even a cat . First patch the fence , nearly anything can go through a 5X5 opening and a 6' long 1X6 will cover all of those 5X5 openings if the gap runs to the top . Once inside the run , the predator could scale the wall to the open window [ which needs a welded wire screen to keep things in or out ] , grab a chicken sleeping there or go in and kill one , take it back down for a leisurely meal , then stroll back through the opening to rest untill its next visit . After repairing the fence and screening the window , you might want to set a trap because at least one critter has found an always open KFC and is going to be looking for a way to reopen it .

Last edited:
I'd agree a small critter, but don’t rule out a weasel or even a skunk. We had some decent weather over the past couple days and they were out. I'd agree a cat is a possible culprit, and a canine would have probably done a snatch and dash. The entry point sounds small, but anything can get in through this (you'd be surprised what could squeeze through a 5 inch hole). With only the breast being eaten, makes me think possible weasel. Just my guess! But, from my experience a coon or possum might have tried killed everything in the run (at least that’s what has happened to me). Actually, when I got hit by a possum it just ate the heads off my girl and her peeps.

Either way, I'd set a trap. A live trap baited with peanutbutter and jelly should catch your villian! Good luck, I have a skunk that is wondering around that I am going to have to trap. Grrr...I hate catching skunks.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a friend that used to work for pest control and she recommends the following for traping a skunk. Put a live trap in a trash bag with the bag rolled back over the opening. Put the bait in and set. Make sure the bag does not cover the enterance. Once the trap has worked and you have a skunk. Slowly and carefully move the bag closed around the opening. Tie it off and move the skunk to another area of the county. She said that she has done this many times and never been sprayed.
Now...myself and my home I use a 22 with about 20 shots to make sure it's dead. The choice is yours.

I'm going to set a trap tomorrow after school and check early Friday. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom