1 1/2 years old and no eggs for 4 days

Srodgers13

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2018
Ottawa, Il
I am new to this site this is my first post.
I'm concerned about one of my chickens. She is walking slowly, tail down, laying down a lot and recently I have noticed that her feathers on her belly and back side are gone. She is eating and she is drinking but she has stopped laying eggs. I have not gotten an egg from her in about 4 to 5 days possibly longer. I have 13 chickens in all, no roosters, but I am concerned about her. I have been giving her electrolytes and calcium I've been giving her eggs shells crush up and I've been making sure that she's definitely hydrated but I don't know what else to do.
15429930943968831383494492632174.jpg
I do not think she is egg bound I did check I do not feel an egg in her body anywhere but I don't know what else to do any help would be great.

She looks generally healthy. Molt is hard on hens and even harder on roosters so kill the treats like spinach, etc and instead supplement her ration with real goodness to gracious meat. Oh say about a teaspoon to a tablespoon full per day per bird. When her new suit of feathers finally grows in you as well as your hen will be glad that you did because her new feathers will sparkle and shine like new money.

The poor things plumage is sort of kind of washed out looking. It could be the light in your garage or old feathers etc or it could indicate that you have been washing your chicken in that magic Dawn Dish Washing detergent affluent. Please tell me that you haven't.

She looks generally healthy. Molt is hard on hens and even harder on roosters so kill the treats like spinach, etc and instead supplement her ration with real goodness to gracious meat. Oh say about a teaspoon to a tablespoon full per day per bird. When her new suit of feathers finally grows in you as well as your hen will be glad that you did because her new feathers will sparkle and shine like new money.

The poor things plumage is sort of kind of washed out looking. It could be the light in your garage or old feathers etc or it could indicate that you have been washing your chicken in that magic Dawn Dish Washing detergent affluent. Please tell me that you haven't.
There has been no dawn dish soap used...ever on my birds. I am just very worried about her health. Last winter she continues to lay 1 egg per day and now she is not laying at all.

She is walking slowly, tail down, laying down a lot and recently I have noticed that her feathers on her belly and back side are gone. She is eating and she is drinking but she has stopped laying eggs. I have not gotten an egg from her in about 4 to 5 days possibly longer.
@Srodgers13 Welcome To BYC!

How old is your hen?
Can you gently examine her, does she have any new feathers coming in - is she molting?

Also feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling and check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink.

Molting chickens can sometimes have a hard time, but your description of walking slowly, tail down and laying down a lot makes me think she has something else going on.
Photos of her poop are welcome too.

Look forward to your response and photos, then we will go from there.

@Srodgers13 Welcome To BYC!

How old is your hen?
Can you gently examine her, does she have any new feathers coming in - is she molting?

Also feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling and check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink.

Molting chickens can sometimes have a hard time, but your description of walking slowly, tail down and laying down a lot makes me think she has something else going on.
Photos of her poop are welcome too.

Look forward to your response and photos, then we will go from there.
Her poop is whitish and runny(no poop to photograph at the time of this posting). I have not noticed any new feathers but I will keep checking her. Crop is not full in the morning and her belly is firm but not distended.
I am keeping her in the garage for a little while longer to keep an eye on her and see if she starts to improve. She is moving around a bit better but nothing compared to the others.

Her poop is whitish and runny(no poop to photograph at the time of this posting). I have not noticed any new feathers but I will keep checking her. Crop is not full in the morning and her belly is firm but not distended.
I am keeping her in the garage for a little while longer to keep an eye on her and see if she starts to improve. She is moving around a bit better but nothing compared to the others.
Do you know when she last laid an egg?
Compare her belly to a few of your other girls, if it's hard or firm compared to the others, then describe that a bit more to me. Does it feel like it may have fluid in it?
Usually the abdomen should be firmish, but soft and pliable if that makes sense.

I would keep trying to get her hydrated, some quick uptake poultry vitamins like a direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell would be good (1cc per 3lbs of weight).
Encourage her to eat after she is drinking.

her comb looks pinkish. a sign that something is going on.
hard to tell much from pix.
good luck with her.

You have received good comments and advice from @Wyorp Rock. I’d be concerned about her getting cold on the garage floor. Can you provide a heat source like a heating pad, or at least some sort of bedding to lay on? Or even a 2x4 to stand on?
Is the edge of her comb bluish? Does she have any respiratory symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom