1-2 ish week old chick

Hjgh91

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I got 2 fresh chicks from someone who has a gazillion chickens running around her yard. One is just generic darker yellow/orange without any clear markings yet, but the other seems more distinctive. It has "eyeliner", and was pale yellow with vague chipmunk stripe type things when I first got it as well as black dots on head

Now its growing wing and tail feathers and they are darker, wasn't expecting it at all!

1 picture from the day when I got it, standing on its temporary food dish in the emergency brooder (we have a better set up now). It also had some blood from being pecked by its murderous mother, so its hard to tell.
20210608_062055.jpg

The rest are from today, unknown age for sure. I've had them for a week.
20210615_171429.jpg

20210615_171414.jpg 20210615_171612.jpg 20210615_063726.jpg

To be clear, I am interested in breed ideas/guesses. I know it's too young for sexing.

Though still fun to speculate sex also :)

I got 2 fresh chicks from someone who has a gazillion chickens running around her yard. One is just generic darker yellow/orange without any clear markings yet, but the other seems more distinctive. It has "eyeliner", and was pale yellow with vague chipmunk stripe type things when I first got it as well as black dots on head

Now its growing wing and tail feathers and they are darker, wasn't expecting it at all!

1 picture from the day when I got it, standing on its temporary food dish in the emergency brooder (we have a better set up now). It also had some blood from being pecked by its murderous mother, so its hard to tell.
View attachment 2720360

The rest are from today, unknown age for sure. I've had them for a week.
View attachment 2720364

View attachment 2720365View attachment 2720366View attachment 2720367
It is too young to tell but all of my chickens I have had that had that little black mark around their eyes that is often referred to as “eyeliner” became roosters however others have had chicks with eyeliner and some became hens

It is too young to tell but all of my chickens I have had that had that little black mark around their eyes that is often referred to as “eyeliner” became roosters however others have had chicks with eyeliner and some became hens
The eyeliner does not really help with gender with mixed breeds. These do appear to be mixed and will be almost impossible to tell which breeds until they feather out. Even then can be difficult, unless you know what possible breeds the parents are. 😊

So the chicks are just under 4 weeks old (the right one slightly older than the left I think, but this is just guessing, could be a few days off). I strongly suspect I have one rooster and one hen. Different mixes so its comparing apples to oranges...but even so.

Waiting for the DNA test to confirm, ha! I guess I will have to get some more hens for this guy, since I don't think my current flock of 3 old ladies will accept newcomers.
Photo_2021-06-30_06-55-50_AM.png Photo_2021-06-30_07-07-39_AM.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom