1-2 week old Jersey giant chick having constant seizures

sunnyducks2

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
Video link -

Received 5 baby chicks a couple weeks ago from local farm supply. All except the Jersey giant baby have been fine. I only noticed she started doing this today. It’s a seizure at least every minute or so. So far 10+ times within a half hour.

I’ve put nutridrench and vetrx in her water and separated her but she was stressed even more so I tried putting them back together. She is constantly scratching herself before the seizures and nodding off.

She does not seem to be eating or wanting to drink on her own. Anything else I can try? We haven’t had to euthanize yet so if it comes to that, any advice in that department especially for a baby is extremely appreciated.

could this be caused by a red wasp sting? I noticed one nearby, but not sure if it had just stung her and nobody else or not at all. They’re indoors next to a window in a brooder bin with straw bedding at the moment, still on chick feed with a heat lamp on one side of the bin.

I've raised up two BJG day olds without issues, lost another day old who was wobbly/sleepy eyed/crying after about a week, but have not seen or experienced this.

I've raised up two BJG day olds without issues, lost another day old who was wobbly/sleepy eyed/crying after about a week, but have not seen or experienced this.
This is our first JG chick so I’m just at a loss. We have a JG mix roo (adopted) and 10 laying hens we did raise from chicks and have never had anything like this

Update… black Betty seized and followed with more convulsions bending her neck back and then passed. From the lvery little I’ve seen of this issue, they don’t seem to make it. I wish I knew what it was. Thank you for reading if you did and I hope this helps someone make a decision in the future to ease suffering…

Sorry to hear. I had a rough time with my second order of days olds for about a week, lost 3 of 4 one after another. I called the hatchery and they did offer some advice, but when they're that young and fragile it can be a real challenge.

Back
Top Bottom