1.5 week old pullet - impacted crop

Racbino

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
Hi! New to backyard chickens. The Buff Orpington in the picture looks to have an enlarged crop. I’ve put them in a brooder box with hemp and I’m worried she’s actually been eating it. What do you think? Should I wait to see if it goes down overnight? Or should I give her grit? And is shredded hemp okay for chicks or do they need paper towels instead?

Attachments

• AB645707-90DA-4DEA-9BB3-02C7F873FCA1.jpeg
    AB645707-90DA-4DEA-9BB3-02C7F873FCA1.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 3
It does look like a full crop, but I don't know about enlarged. It's pretty normal for chicks to eat some amount of their bedding. As long at it goes down overnight it's no problem. Don't worry until you see that happening.

There's no harm in putting out a small dish of grit, or a clump of sod for the chicks to find their own in. I put some out for mine in their first week(I live with a relentless spoiler of small animals, my chickens need it haha)

It does look like a full crop, but I don't know about enlarged. It's pretty normal for chicks to eat some amount of their bedding. As long at it goes down overnight it's no problem. Don't worry until you see that happening.

There's no harm in putting out a small dish of grit, or a clump of sod for the chicks to find their own in. I put some out for mine in their first week(I live with a relentless spoiler of small animals, my chickens need it haha)

Good to know, thank you! She’s a little porker so I know she’s been eating good. Hopefully it’s just that and it goes down in the morning. Just ordered some grit so I’ll give her some of that soon too. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom