1 acre pond- how many ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ro.netcmarie, May 4, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    i have a 1 acre pond in my front yard and was wondering how many ducks can really have??? right now i have 11 i might be thinkin that be too many, course i will have to wait to see how many boys ducks i have, may have to thin out the boys. have 7 pekin and 4 mallards. just wanted to know.

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I have never thought about pond acreage before. THat's a good question. I'll be interested in seeing the replies.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hummmm....

I have 5 ducks and a 500 gallon pond (plastic liner). Seems to be good for them since they don't all try to swim at the same time. If they did, it would have to double in size. If you extrapolated from that, I would say A LOT! [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

ALOT... [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I know you are in awe of my mathematical precision. Admit it!

[​IMG]

6. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    so i am asuming i can get more!!!! got 2 free ones next to me that i am thinking about getting! by the way the pond is "natural" it is pretty big. i would have to have alota plastic to make a preformed one that big!!! that just dont make them that big i dont rekon, at least i havent seen them at any home improvement stores!

7. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hee hee hee....no. They don't make preformed 1 acre ponds [​IMG] I imagine storage and shipping cost would be a tad on the high side
    [​IMG]

For man-made ponds that big, they use bentonite, an expansive clay, to line the area and make it hold water.

8. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    i would love to show pics of it but this computer takes a long time to upload and by then it usually kicks me off the internet and then i repeat, finally just gave up!! but yeh shipping would be outrageous!! luckly i bought the house and it was already here! the DH said i can have as many ducks i wanted, so maybe he will think ahead before he tells me something like that again!!! isay i want more ducks....more....more...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by