1 Andalusian in flock of 3, how much room for run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by welsummer4, May 22, 2010.

1. welsummer4

welsummer4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Hello All! A few days after I ordered three chicks from M.P.C, they called to inform me that one of the breeds I picked would not be available for a few mnths. They suggested a Blue Andalusian as a replacement because it would be ready to ship at the same time as my other two (a Welsummer and Barred Rock), and I said OK. Well, I chose my other two breeds because they can handle confinement well, but after doing some research on the Andalusian I came to find out they they do best free-ranging. I was only planning about a 10x10 foot covered run for them with occasional free-ranging in the yard, but now I'm worried that this won't be sufficient for the Andalusian. Can anyone tell me if my worries are justified, or will I be fine going ahead as planned?

By the way, my chicks are about a month old now, and I have to say the Andalusian is my favorite. She's pretty to look at and has a great personality, so I want to do right by her [​IMG]

Thanks for your input!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10 x 10 should be great if its just 3 chickens. And if your going to free range her a little but every once in a while I say thats a great amount of space!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    First off, WELCOME TO BYC. So glad you found us.

I'd say if you make it a bit longer they will be fine.... but just go ahead and double the size and get more chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by