1" by 1" wire for rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PrinceSandwich, Nov 5, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I was given a rabbit cage that has a wire floor with 1" by 1" spacing. I was also given a part roll of 1" by 1" welded wire ( the same stuff thats on the cage). I know most people say you should use 1" by 1/2" but would this wire work okay.

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I think that would be fine.
    BUT I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT ALL. [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:we have ALWAYS used 1/2 X1/2 hardware cloth on the bottom of our rabbit hutches.We used 1" on the sides/front/back...critters will pull small bunny feet through 1" bottoms.Most of the people i've known who raised rabbits used 1/2" ...we raised and showed rabbits for years so i'm not talking just a handful of people ...
    just my 2 cents...[​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Do not use that. You will find your rabbit one day with a broken leg.

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    I agree, 1"x1" wire is too big. Even if you have a larger rabbit that won't put their feet through it, the more open wire gives their feet less support, and might lead to sore hocks.

All of my cages use 1/2"x1" welded wire on the floor.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Fewer or large wires are also more likely to cause hock sores than 1/2" finer wire.

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I would add a layer of 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth over it. I use 1" by 1" wire for my "transport" cages and always used the 1/2" hardware cloth for the flooring. Can't imagine expecting them to stand on it. Maybe it was meant to be set on the ground or on a solid surface?

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rabbits will squat down and their hocks will slid down through the 1" X 1". When they go to get up and extend their legs, the hock will become caught. They will then panic and break their hind leg just as Rebelcowboy suggested. Cover it with half inch wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by