1 Day Chick - Toes Turned Like a Fan

NoSpringChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
SE PA
I wonder if someone could help me with this chick; It's a barred rock born yesterday and at the time of hatch both feet were turned toward inward...today the left foot is fine and the right foot's toes are fanned outwards toes appear to be broken. The chick can stand and walk.

Should I tape the bottom of it's foot so the toes are straighter?

What are you using on the brooder floor? Was this chick a late hatcher? I've had that happen if they hatch late, seems like they are in the egg too long and their feet curl. If you have paper towels or the non-stick rubberized shelf liner so they can get a good grasp, it should hopefully straighten out.

Littleralphie,
thanks so much I had the very same question and I had already put paper towels under the babie just a quick as I put in brooder and yes I was about to trow egg out when it started to hatch 4 day late thanks agin for help

Quote:
It hatched in the same time the others did and I do have the shelf liner in there; now a towel and paper towels on top; it looks as if it's beginning to straighten out. Thanks for your help.

Oh no! Don't give up until day 25. If they hatch late, sometimes they have more problems than those who hatch on time but not always. I had hatches running at least two days late during the winter because the cold delayed them. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom