1 day difference does it matter?

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
I have a one day difference in the days my eggs were put into the incubator. Should I stop turning them all on day 18 of the first batch or just turn the 1st batch on day 19? They are in a Hovabator with an automatic turner right now but I have a LG that I was going to use for hatching time.

thanks
Chris

I was wondering the same thing- I plan on taking them out of the hovabator and putting them into a "hatch" box, same temps, humidity checks, but with no turner in it. That way I don't stop turning the second bunch too early. (Turning by hand is not an option for me- I'm a shift worker)

The move to a new box to hatch should not hurt them should it?

:) You can stop turning after day 10 with no ill affects. the eggs are turned so the embryo does not stick to one side of the shell. after 10 days the embryo is suffeciently developed that it won't stick anymore.

there was even a study done that eggs that were 3/4 incubated could be brought to room temp for a day and shipped by mail

One day will not make a difference.

When you loose track on things (only once) they will hatch in the turner.

I would not worry either way.

Good luck.

Agree with the last poster. I just had 8 Silkies hatch and somehow I made a mistake on the dates. I had two other hatches going at the same time and I had juggled eggs for two weeks to get the right eggs in the right incubator at the right time.

For the Silkies I thought they were due later in the week and I failed to increase temp or to stop turning on day 18. They were on day 20 and had started to hatch before I went to make the adjustments. I did increase humidity at that time but I have one of the best hatches in a long time. Shipped eggs but they were not from all that far away.

I think we all approach the guidelines from a much to rigid viewpoint. I have learned by this experience and I have been at it for four years. I will keep humidity a bit lower than I ever thought of doing before. These babies were so nice a fluffy and are up and about doing great this morning.

I have had some of the best hatches yet lately. Filled the water, made sure the temp was OK, took out the thermometer/hygrometer and ignored the whole thing for two weeks, candled then ignored some more. I had my date wrong and they hatched in the turner on what I thought was day 19 (came home with plans to put them in the hatcher that night) I had a 100% hatch with no interference from me.

Now I have 6 broodies doing the work here and the incubator is at school.

Back
Top Bottom