1 day old unable to use 1 leg

birdwatcher612

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Harford County Maryland
I noticed the first hatched chick today having trouble keeping his/her balance. This chick was in one of the smallest eggs in the incubator (not a bantam) and filled the egg. It was full of life and energy running around in the incubator trying to "wake" the rest of the eggs and I was thrilled at how healthy it was (this was my first time incubating). Today I moved it and the only other chick that hatched into a brooder. The other is thriving but the first hatched is not. I examined the leg and it seems there is a "knot" on the heel. Is this something that can be fixed? Anyone know what it might be?

Thank you,
Gail

Can you get a picture of the chick standing?
He/she doesn't really stand, mostly squats using wing to stabilize. I looked a little further and there seems to be a cut or some type of injury. The leg you can see in the picture with her squatting is the affected leg. Looking at the close up, the outside of the leg has a "knot" and there appears to be a "raw" spot right next to my finger. I'm guessing it's rubbed raw by rubbing on the incubator floor. The spot that feels like a knot might be an infection as my finger felt a little wet after examining, so perhaps it's injured/cut and became infected?? I really don't know...just guessing at this point. It's definitely painful because she chirped a blue streak when I was examining.
injury.jpg

Attachments

• squatting.jpg
    squatting.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Okay. I might have the same issue. Does he look like these pictures when you can see him moving?

20210517_123911.jpg
20210517_121849.jpg
20210517_121752.jpg
20210513_211327.jpg

We think he broke the joint when he first hatched. He's slowly gaining mobility again but it can't really move compared to a normal leg

Okay. I might have the same issue. Does he look like these pictures when you can see him moving?

View attachment 2679919View attachment 2679920View attachment 2679921View attachment 2679922

We think he broke the joint when he first hatched. He's slowly gaining mobility again but it can't really move compared to a normal leg
Kinda sorta but not really. He was walking fine yesterday when he hatched...once he got his land legs that is... I uploaded the photos so you should be able to view now. I guess I should do some wound treatment and see how that goes. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Back
Top Bottom