1 dead what about the rest?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jake, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2007
    Eastern Tennessee
    [​IMG] man oh man one of my chickens died of heat and the coop is mostly shaded. they had plenty of water [​IMG] not a bunch of food but enough. How do I fix the problem ?

Do you think any more will die or has this happen to you?

repliers thanks

Oh and there not close enough to power for any type of electric solution.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I've heard that lots of people use a mister, to spray the bird swith cold water, I've given my birds frozen corn as a treat. Others put a shallow pool in with the birds, so they can walk around in it. I've given mine baths in cool, not cold water. Hope this helps! ANy hopefully someone else chimes in soon!

[​IMG]

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Do NOT feed chickens CORN in this heat - causes their metabolism to go up & their temperature. DO NOT feed corn. Can NOT emphasize this enough.

There is a poultry supplement that is Vitamin & electrolytes that you can give them, unfortunatly my feed store does not carry. So I bought pedialyte at the grocery store. One of these threads had a home made electrolyde recipe, if they do not post I will try to find my print out & post.
    HTH

4. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

We just put a frozen water bottle out for the birds to lay near. They figured it out as soon as they walked on it! Their snack today was frozen berries. I hope it cools down soon, it's 3:45pm and still almost 100 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by