1 hen has Odd behavior

KemahBYC

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022

We have one 10 month old hen that seems to sleep a lot more than our other 3 hens…and the roo doesn’t sleep enough!! She also holds her head and neck noticeably to her right (left in the picture) and gapes or seems to adjust her crop. (Video) we let them out of the 22x6 run into the backyard for a couple hours a day.

Shot of Ivermectin for worm or parasites given yesterday. Nutridrench given today. Dry crumble is available all day and we feed them fermented feed every morning. Bananas, apples, carrots and sprouted sunflower seeds given frequently. She eats and her poo looks Normal. She has never been an aggressive forager like the others but she does eat but not a lot.

Any ideas why she would be sleeping a lot and/or what treatments we could try?

Attachments

• B93CA4A5-B40D-4CB0-B660-A472C9039E8B.jpeg
    B93CA4A5-B40D-4CB0-B660-A472C9039E8B.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 16
65E88713-F200-4EDE-A641-5E2E221F95C6.jpeg
We typically find her in Her usual spot at the end of the coop sleeping most of the day

Grab her, do a physical examination, check her skin from head to bottom feet, look in her mouth and smell it, feel her body, check her anus.

Your looking for anything unusual.

Texrex & Tonyroo we gave her a pretty thorough exam and her ears looked fine. No realities rattles or difficulty breathing. We did find some lice around her vent and are treating all of them for lice and mites as well as sprayed down the coop with permethrin10.
As for her crop she doesn’t really ever eat enough for me to say it’s full or empty. They will be heading in to the hen house soon I’ll check her crop again tonight. We really didn’t find anything physically unusual. Guess that’s good and bad 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

The yawning and head tilt is why I asked about crop and ears. Fish, scrambled eggs, raw eggs, a strawberry or blueberry or even a small piece of a banana are all my flocks favorite foods...see if she responds to any of those to get her appetite going?

Back
Top Bottom