1 incubator - 2 eggs sets

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NSChickenMamma, Feb 18, 2013.

1. NSChickenMamma

NSChickenMamma Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    How can I do this ????
    I have 2 sets of eggs 7 days apart.
    The first set goes on lockdown Wednesday, but still have to turn the other eggs.
    Didn't think this one through very good !!

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Ouch. A 7 day stagger seems like a big gamble...good luck!!

3. NSChickenMamma

May 1, 2011
    we borrowed the incubator from the local agriculture college and they need it back at the end of the month and my daughter wanted to set a few more Cochin eggs, so having never done this before, didnt think it was a big deal until I started reading and about lockdown.

I am thinking I may have to make something QUICK for the 'younger' eggs and leave the ones going in lockdown in the good incubator with the hunidity. What would that do to the other eggs though?

4. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    The quickest and easiest solution is to pick up an LG still air from Tractor Supply for $40 and use it as a hatcher. That way you don't have to subject the younger eggs to high humidity. I would leave the younger eggs in the bator you've already got going, the older eggs will be less vulnerable to temp fluctuations and you can just set up the second bator with higher humidity for lockdown.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. NSChickenMamma

May 1, 2011
    Cheapest incubator around here is about $150 which is why we borrowed one to see what was going to happen before we invested in one.
    My daughter is only 12 and this is her 4H project.
    Really don't want to put out $150 tomorrow, but don't want to kill any more chicks this week

6. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Have you tried Craigslist?

7. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    [​IMG]

TSC ships! Their LG (what I am using and love personally) is on sale for 34.99

1 person likes this.
  8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have a friend that never hatches in her incubator, she keeps a plastic bin with towels in it, a heat lamp, a thermometer/hygrometer combo, and bowls of water covered with screen. The hatching chicks need good humidity, but the temperature doesn't have to be spot on perfect. She does competitive dog obstacle courses, and just brings her hatching eggs along with her to entertain herself and the people around her while she is waiting on her run. She raises the humidity by spritzing water into the tub from a little spray bottle if it gets low.

I thought she was nuts but she always has fantastic hatches.

9. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have an incubator and 3 hatchers. 2 of the hatchers are the still air incubators that I got at my local farm store for $35 This set up works great. The other hatcher I use as a transitional incubator. The chicks once hatched go in that one to fluff up before they go to the brooder. I add eggs to my incubator on a daily basis and its the only way this would work!

good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by