1 month old call duck with acute onset perosis, HELP!

DannieBanannie

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2016
Florida
When I went to check on my ducklings this evening, I noticed one was holding his leg outward in front of him. I quickly found out that one of his Achilles had slipped. I put it back in place and bandaged his leg. Several hours later I'm noticing brusing. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? It sounds like the prognosis is poor. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to BYC. The best place to post your issue is the duck thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks but I will send a message to a duck pal - she will get back to you (assuming she is still awake
smile.png
)

CT

Sent her a message, but she if offline. I'd post on the duck forum in the hope that a couple of the duck peeps are up and about

Last edited:
I've not had good luck with slipped tendons, but only ever had them in chicks not my Calls... I did a quick check and think a manganese supplement might help...

If it stays in place long enough to heal, he may be ok... many have said they pop back out again later in their life though... bruising will happen since it moved where it shouldn't, just make sure your bandaging isn't causing it and cutting off circulation...

@Amiga any knowledge or experience with this?

I'm sorry I can't think of anything to suggest except to see if you can pm Miss Lydia, she knows all about ducks.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I've had said duckling on nacin since day one. I have since started on fish oils and poly-v-sol. I read chick peas have managanese so I will be picking some up as well. I just got done recovering a gosling from a stretched tendon. She went from immobile to almost normal after weeks of bandage changes and the sling. I must be doing something wrong nutritionally. All others normal and never had issues. (Including call duck's hatchmate(?)).

UPDATE: I am fighting for this little guy. He's getting warm water therapy in our utility sink 3-4 times a day. I let him clean himself on a towel afterwards and it allows him to stand, stretch and use his leg. Occasionally I have to reposition the tendon. He doesn't seem painful (although I'm sure it's uncomfortable.) he's eating and drinking and loves to swim. We'll see how it goes. Thank everyone for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom