1 month old Coturnix crowing LOUD!

iheartquail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
So I started noticing that one of my coturnix babies started crowing LOUDLY around 3.5 weeks old. This seems a little premature, no? I have 2 other adult roos outside and they don't crow nearly that loudly! Maybe he is unhappy?

I'm thinking it's genetics. I have a bunch of males and each one has a unique crow. there's one in particular that's loud and shrill. He crows like that no matter what I do with him. If he goes into the main cage he fights and crows. If he's inside his own pen he crows. Last few days I put him with 2 other males and kept them from seeing any females and that seems to cut the crowing down a little but the sound is still annoying as ever.

edit: sorry just noticed they were only 3.5 weeks old. Is it crowing or crying? Hopefully it grows out of it.

Last edited:
I have one like that... actually, my daughter has one like that. He started crowing at 3 weeks, and hasn't stopped yet. My wife and I actually believe he knows my daughters name; when we call for her, he stretches out and crows. He'll be quiet for hours on end, but when he hears her voice... back to crowing. He's a 6 week old Texas A&M, and the only reason he isn't getting ready for the freezer (or broiler) is that "he is my daughters quail", and his execution has been commuted to a life sentance. Anything to keep my daughter happy.

[quote/]

edit: sorry just noticed they were only 3.5 weeks old.  Is it crowing or crying?  Hopefully it grows out of it.
[/quote]

Crowing for sure. Loud and proud!

I have one like that... actually, my daughter has one like that. He started crowing at 3 weeks, and hasn't stopped yet. My wife and I actually believe he knows my daughters name; when we call for her, he stretches out and crows. He'll be quiet for hours on end, but when he hears her voice... back to crowing. He's a 6 week old Texas A&M, and the only reason he isn't getting ready for the freezer (or broiler) is that "he is my daughters quail", and his execution has been commuted to a life sentance. Anything to keep my daughter happy.

LOL!

it happens... right now I have a male who first day home crowed and acted like a real male
after the first day he seems to have forgot he is male and what his job is.

different birds but we raise dove and about 1 out of 10 new males born 1 will be annoying and call constantly
even in the middle of the night... we try and sell those guys first lol

This one keeps crowing whenever I'm near like he is very dissatisfied with me. I don't think he likes me very much!

Actually 3.5 weeks is no surprise for them to start crowing. I have two male cots right now that have stopped crowing. I kinda miss it already.

I don't know of any cots that can be trained when to crow. How loud they should crow. Or even to get them to stop crowing in the middle of the night. I have noticed by putting black cloth over their pens during transport and making it totally dark they tend to quiet up some. They also seem to get real quiet just before going to camp.

Best of wishes to ya.

I have at least 2 in my bunch that started crowing at 3 weeks. They are 4 weeks now and crowing themselves silly. Our dog seems to think that they are calling her : )

I have one like that... actually, my daughter has one like that.  He started crowing at 3 weeks, and hasn't stopped yet.  My wife and I actually believe he knows my daughters name; when we call for her, he stretches out and crows.  He'll be quiet for hours on end, but when he hears her voice... back to crowing.  He's a 6 week old Texas A&M, and the only reason he isn't getting ready for the freezer (or broiler) is that "he is my daughters quail", and his execution has been commuted to a life sentance.  Anything to keep my daughter happy.
that is so sweet! I hope my dad will be so generous once mine grow up too hahaha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom