1 more ??...how do you find the "stinky" egg?

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
I can't tell which one is stinking (30 some quail eggs....and 18 chicken eggs)? Think it is the quail ones....they went in last...but they have to dark of shells for me to candle...they look fine but boy does that bator stink! Not bad if I keep the vent close...lol...then I cant smell it. They are about 1 week in there so far....

Well, you could always smell the eggs. Should be able to tell which one(s) it is. Other than that, you could try candling, Plus the bad one may be weepy,which is a sure fire way to tell. If you candle, the bad one would have a cloudy look to it. Good luck!

Don't smell 'em up close.
wink.png

I think it may be my newest quail eggs...cuz I put some in both bators and both are smelling. Some were broken when I got them ....some may still have cracks and I missed it. Not sellers fault...I am new to this....just so hard to tell with a dark shell. Kids and I are off to do the dirty work....wish me luck!

You definitely need to get the stinker out of the incubator before it becomes a bacteria bomb! If it explodes it could contaminate and ruin your hatch.

So, here is what you do.... very very carefully pick up each egg, hold it in your closed hand, with the back of your hand towards your face (palm facing away from you) and carefully sniff between your fingers.

If it stinks, immediately put it in a plastic bag until you can get it out of the house so that you dont have an accident.

Another method that I have used is to put my hand inside a plastic veggie bag and pick up the questionable eggs, keeping the egg enclosed in the plastic while I sniff very close to it. That way if it explodes, it will be contained in the bag.

You do not want a rotter to pop in your face! Believe me.
th.gif

Chel

I learned the hard way that rotten eggs can explode while cleaning out our coop on a warm day, when all of a sudden a loud BANG went off. It was so loud, the family heard it in the house. The coop and whole back yard reeked! Our dear chickens (would that be abbreviated DC?
big_smile.png
) had concocted a new sneaky place to lay eggs, which went undetected until...dum-de-dum dum...

I found and put outside the coop the offending egg and was busy scrubbing everything, when I noticed our hens eagerly eating that awful egg!
sickbyc.gif

Sometimes you have to pick them up to see which one is smelling. Kind of like Russian Rouleitt (sp?) I guess.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom