1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 out of 4 birds stopped roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeffinCA, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JeffinCA

JeffinCA New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    Hey all...I have 4 hens who are laying nicely. All seems "normal" but one of them decided that she doesn't want to get on the roost any longer. I go out there at night and she's sitting on the floor of the coop in the doorway, while the others are on the roost. If I shine a light in there sometimes she'll jump up and sometimes not.

I don't think she's blind but maybe a little "off"? She's also the one that while the rest of the small flock is grazing in one corner, she's off in another corner in her own world.

I haven't seen any signs that the others are beating up on her. It almost seems that she prefers the floor to the roost. No signs of mites and the others religiously are on the roost soon as it starts to darken.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Two things to try.

1) Increase roosting space by about 25%.

2) Make so a little more light gets into coop / roost area at twilight as birds are getting onto roost. Lights going down to fast can cauase laggers to not be able to see well enough to fly up so they go back out where they can see as the sun goes down.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long is your roost?

Have you tried to put some scratch down and see if she can peck up the pieces ok?

Have you observed them going to roost and see if maybe she's getting bullied a bit?
    They all scuffle and peck a bit at roosting time but...she may be low bird.

Is she eating, drinking and pooping normally? She may be ill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by