1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 regular and 2 shell-less eggs in one day...Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slurrywidow, Aug 4, 2011.

1. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have a 24 week old cuckoo marans hen that started laying about 2 weeks ago. She's been laying about 3 - 4 eggs a week, all looking like very normal pullet sized eggs. Today she laid one early in the morning, no problem. BUT, late this afternoon while I was out giving treats as they were free ranging, she stopped right in front of me, looked like she was going to poop and very quickly laid a shell-less egg. I was shocked, because it's my understanding that it takes about 25 hours to form and lay each egg. However I was even more shocked when I was locking them up tonight and she laid another shell-less egg right from the roost! What is going on?

I'm new-ish to chickens and did a forum search and I can't seem to find an answer as to what's happening. I feed layer pellets, they have free access to oyster shell, which I have been refilling so I know they are eating it. They are allowed to free range at least 4 hours a day. She looks good, clear eyes and nose, good red comb, I check often for mites and other crawlies and I don't think there is any stress in the coop. I checked her vent tonight with a flashlight and it looked fine. It did feel slightly wet on some of the feathers around but I'd imagine that is because it was so quick after the egg? The weather here has been 85 and under so I don't think heat is an issue.

I'm really thinking this isn't normal. What can I / should I do?

Thanks.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Actually it is pretty normal for a brand new layer. It takes them awhile to cycle regularly sometimes. I wouldn't worry unless it continues for months.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] That's the same thing that happened to me today!

I got 3 regular eggs this morning (out of my six 24 week old hens). Then, tonight when I was shutting their coop door I found 2 shell less eggs on the coop floor.

4. Hucklekree

Hucklekree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Enumclaw
    I agree with Emys not to worry too much unless the eggless laying is prolonged by a couple months. Just like any teenager coming into their puberty (ewww...gross! [​IMG]) it takes a little while for cycles to stabilize and become "regular". Lol

5. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Ok thank you for the replies. I'll just wait for awhile and see if things become more normal. Sometimes I feel like I just need to be brought back down to earth when it comes to my chickens. It's ridiculous how much I enjoy these girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by