1 Rouen, 1 Cayuga

PTomczak

Hatching
Nov 30, 2016
From what I've read so far this website is amazing and very resourceful, so I'm looking forward to everyone's expertise ideas to see if I'm raising my babies right!
I ordered 1 Rouen and 1 Cayuga from a hatchery. They are currently 12 weeks old. They are house ducks I should mention.
They know me as their food source and i think they know me as "mom", but they will never come to me when called and when i try to pick them up they freak out and scratch the crap out of me and peck at my hands and arms. (I have multiple bruises and scratches to show for it) . I got these babies because I'm allergic to your traditional cats and dogs and read ducks were a good alternative. Is there anything I can do to tame them and make them understand I'm not the bad guy or are they going through a phase?
As I'm typing this I stand in my kitchen by the counter where I prep their tomatoes and they are biting at my toes, shirt, and pant legs! It hurts now that they are getting older! Help!

I should mention too that my Rouen is a drake and my Cayuga is more than likely a female. (She quacks SO LOUD!!!)

The male is probably being territorial or protecting the female. My ducks HATE it when i pick them up, not sure why they just do. I Know of Cayugas to be nice, but i have never had a Rouen, so i cant say for sure how they act.Sometimes they get mad or annoyed with you when you pick them up too much. I had a Swede Blue named Webby, he didn't like me and bit me a lot. Maybe set them in a small room with you and have treats to give them when they get close to you. Like a cheerio or some peas, they love those!

Hop i helped, and also, Welcome to the BYC flock!

They eat out of my hand no problem! I guess they just don't like to be touched! I read Cayugas are very tame, but mine isnt! Lol.

They eat out of my hand no problem! I guess they just don't like to be touched! I read Cayugas are very tame, but mine isnt! Lol.
oh good, i must have read something wrong, yeah, same with my ducks! They will eat out of my hand fine but they don't like to be pet ot held, unless they are to distracted with their glass of peas and i can reach over and pet their back. :)

My Cayuga will eat just about anything but Emmerson, my Rouen, ate like 10 peas out of their bowl and looked at me like... where's my tomatoes???? ( their absolute favorite! Lol)

I think you would do better posting on the "duck thread," I don't believe ducks get as friendly with humans as chickens will. Even then a lot of chickens hate to be held.

welcome-byc.gif

As drumstick diva said, the duck forum would be a good place for info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom