1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 st egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7chickininas, Sep 6, 2007.

1. 7chickininas

7chickininas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Idaho
    Hi everybody! I'm new here. [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm also new to raising chickens. I've been lurking around the BYC forum since I got my chickens on May 25. Then I decided to buy 2 more chickens on June 28. The two were already 3 1/2 months old. So I've been waiting patiently for Oprah the black orphinton and Lacey the SLW to lay now. So, I just wanted to share my excitement [​IMG]!!!! I got home from work, and as usual, I went to the coop to check for eggs. What do you know, there was this little tiny egg in the nest box. Placing a golf ball in the nest box does work! Oprah layed it for sure. She has been squating and making all kinds of noise for the last 2 weeks. I will post a picture later. Just need to figure out how to do it.

2. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    cool it is fun to go find eggs I love it Seems like im in the coop more than my own house! [​IMG]

3. wallace

wallace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    We had our first egg two days ago, and had another one yesterday. And now I'm dying all day to go home and check the egg box.

4. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Congrats!! I had my first egg day before yesterday, a little tiny cream colored one. Then yesterday when I got home I had two large cream colored ones. I too, can't wait to get home to see what we have in the boxes!!!!

Oh, and Welcome to the best forum on the internet!!

5. Rocket Raley

Rocket Raley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    We got our first egg today!! [​IMG] I think one of our Golden Buffs did it, cause it is too big to be a bantam egg I think. My toddlers are 19 wks old.

Question. I thought I read somewhere that you are to throw away the first two weeks of eggs. Is that true? It looks like a normal egg, to me, just small.

Oh, I'm still looking for some homes for some roosters.

Have Fun

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First off, congrats on your egg and to 7chickininas as well. Eggies are so fun!

I've never heard anything about tossing out eggs and I think it sounds absurd. We've been gobbling every egg from first to the ones collected today. No way would have given up that thrill of sharing the first egg w/ DH! Get out the frying pan and enjoy.

[​IMG]

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Congratulations to all on their first eggs. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    I got my first egg Aug. 24th from my SLW. One of my RIR started laying on Aug 29th. I'm now waiting for the other 13 hen to start. Can't wait to be able to collect more than 2 eggs a day.

8. 7chickininas

7chickininas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Idaho
    Hey thanks everyone on the congrats!
    I was just wondering about the first eggs if we could eat them or not. The first one is still in the fridge. My black orpington is working on her 2nd one as we speak. I looked in on her. I'm video taping the coop area from my kitchen window for my husband cause he is at work. He is as excited as I am.. Is it legal to video tape chickens laying eggs???[​IMG] [​IMG] I think I'm going a little to far with this egg laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by