1 week duckling with respiratory distress

TerriJeanious

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Hi,
I have a sick duckling that hatched 6/26. Originally my hatch started as a rescue from a nest that my hen stopped sitting on. 1 hatched first, then 1 day later 1 more, then a couple days later 2 more. This little guy was my last egg in the incubator and I was expecting him to come along after the others. After a day I grabbed out the 2 hatched ducklings and added warm water on a napkin in a cup to keep humidity up. I noticed at that time a chip in the egg and that I could see the membrane but there was no hole through. I wasn’t sure if it happened from the others bumbling around or if it had pipped. I waited until the next day and there was no progress so I opened up the membrane and could see the beak. I waited until that night and there had been no progress so I started helping a bit. The next morning it was the same I could see it moving but no more progress. I helped a bit more and left in. By the evening all he had to do was push the 2 halves of shell apart. Once it did I noticed the yolk was not absorbed... I helped too early. I left it in a small bowl lined with cloth. The next day I removed the cord and shell that was still attached. At that time it wanted to move around so I moved it into a clean incubator lined with a towel. Offered water, electrolytes, and starter feed with water, and sprinkled some feed around.
It’s now a few days later and the little guy is eating, drinking and getting around well, but yesterday developed a sneeze, drippy nares(nose holes) and is breathing from his mouth. I have Baytril 2% and am wondering if this is the correct course?

Hi,
I have a sick duckling that hatched 6/26. Originally my hatch started as a rescue from a nest that my hen stopped sitting on. 1 hatched first, then 1 day later 1 more, then a couple days later 2 more. This little guy was my last egg in the incubator and I was expecting him to come along after the others. After a day I grabbed out the 2 hatched ducklings and added warm water on a napkin in a cup to keep humidity up. I noticed at that time a chip in the egg and that I could see the membrane but there was no hole through. I wasn’t sure if it happened from the others bumbling around or if it had pipped. I waited until the next day and there was no progress so I opened up the membrane and could see the beak. I waited until that night and there had been no progress so I started helping a bit. The next morning it was the same I could see it moving but no more progress. I helped a bit more and left in. By the evening all he had to do was push the 2 halves of shell apart. Once it did I noticed the yolk was not absorbed... I helped too early. I left it in a small bowl lined with cloth. The next day I removed the cord and shell that was still attached. At that time it wanted to move around so I moved it into a clean incubator lined with a towel. Offered water, electrolytes, and starter feed with water, and sprinkled some feed around.
It’s now a few days later and the little guy is eating, drinking and getting around well, but yesterday developed a sneeze, drippy nares(nose holes) and is breathing from his mouth. I have Baytril 2% and am wondering if this is the correct course?

‘Welcome to BYC!
I’m tagging @Isaac 0 for some assistance. This tiny premature ducky might need a little extra support ☺️

Can you upload a video of him sneezing/breathing to youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here? A few more questions, what's the temperature in the brooder you have him in, could you post a picture of your setup, do you have a deep enough water dish so as to let the duckling be able to clean his nare's?

Enrofloxacin is a really powerful antibiotic, personally, I'd be a bit hesitant to use it with such a tiny duckling, especially since it can affect bone development growth when their this young. IF its not a management issue, I would be more inclined to use Bactrim (trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole) which can be obtained online in a fish form.

Can you upload a video of him sneezing/breathing to youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here? A few more questions, what's the temperature in the brooder you have him in, could you post a picture of your setup, do you have a deep enough water dish so as to let the duckling be able to clean his nare's?

Enrofloxacin is a really powerful antibiotic, personally, I'd be a bit hesitant to use it with such a tiny duckling, especially since it can affect bone development growth when their this young. IF its not a management issue, I would be more inclined to use Bactrim (trimethoprim / Sulfamethoxazole) which can be obtained online in a fish form.

Thank you for the advice. I have ordered what you suggested to try. I filed a couple videos, the little guys pretty active still and doesn’t seem any better or worse really. Still eating, drinking, and poop looks good. I have been offering water, water with electrolytes, food mash, and just started using VetRx in water and diluted when I clean the nares I think they’re called.

Also it does sneeze at times, and still tips to its back pretty often. It rights itself much more quickly now. I believe the temp in the brooder is good but I haven’t done an official temp check. I have the heat light above one end. The water is deep enough until it drinks it to half way.

Do you know the dosage for treating ducklings with Bactrim? Thanks!

Post a picture of the bottle you have, and how much does she weigh?

I have 2 I want to treat. I have one that is 27 g and the other is 50 g. Something went wrong with my order and I am going to receive it tomorrow, but this is what I ordered:
Fish Aid Antibiotics Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 30 Tablets, 960 mg

Attachments

• fish meds for duckling.pdf
    179 KB · Views: 4
Sorry, I didn't respond faster, here is the dose you were looking for.

Bactrim Dose.jpg

16-24mg/kg twice a day or three times day

Back
Top Bottom