1 week old chick - "Gagging" behavior - what's wrong?? (video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickchix, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Chickchix

Chickchix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Our Australorp chick - 6 days old - keeps craning her neck and opening her beak, but not chirping when she does it. Her crop doesn't feel any bigger than the other chicks'. She's pooping. I (think) I attached a video so you can see. Any ideas?? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Does she seem to be drinking enough?? Not taking in enough liquid would be my first thought? Pooing normally? Not too dry or too small an amount? [​IMG]

3. Chickchix

Feb 7, 2008
    She is drinking and pooing just fine.[​IMG] She was away from her waterer at the time, and when she went back into the brooder, she did drink a lot. Maybe just a dry throat??[​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I think its normal. our chickens do it alot. They have food and water availible at all times and on pine shavings. I thought it was yawning or trying to crow. I might be wrong but thats what mine do as well

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One of my big chickens was doing the same thing yesterday. She had been picking at a small bush and had a tiny stick in her throat.....once it was gone whe was fine. Since this guy is so tiny could it just be a piece of food or something in her throat?

6. Chickchix

Feb 7, 2008
    Well, I feel better. Thanks everyone. At least it doesn't sound like it's something immediately life-threatening. Although,

Quote:that could be bad. We're only allowed hens, no roos!![​IMG]

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*UH-OH!! Hadn't even thought of that!!! Ya think??? ~:eek:

8. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    looks like excessive yawning

9. Chickchix

Feb 7, 2008
    [​IMG]

Boy, don't I feel like a new mom??!!

Thanks all, she seems just fine now. Peeping up a storm and roosting on everyone and everything.

10. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hey Alisa,
    Our Australorp, Olympia, used to do that ALL THE TIME when she was a baby! We were so scared. But it's just yawning. Some of our new chicks do it a little, but Olympia did it a whole lot. I think your baby will be fine!
    Stacey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by